quick AOD question

Coldgin

Is it ok to put an AOD from a 3.8 behind a 5.0 or is this not recommended. The vehicle is not going to be used for performance. It's just the wife's daily get around town car. Well, maybe I'll use it some, and I have a bit of a lead foot. :D

Shouldn't be a problem...

The AOD was the stock automatic tranny behind the 5.0 Mustang. Just be sure it has at least the "B" rated overdrive servo. The SC has the "A" servo (I believe the SC was the only car to get the "A" servo as a stock component.) The stock 3.8 NA Birds may have come with the weaker "C" servo. If you get an AOD from the 5.0 Mustang you will need to swap the shift linkage around to use it in a TBird.

how do I know what servo a trans has?

How can I tell which overdrive servo the transmission has? Also, would the tranny from a Crown Vic fit a TBird?

The Crown Vic 5.0 AOD's got the C servo. Only the Crown Vic 5.8's got the B servo. I can't speak for the Mustang units. A Crown Vic or Grand Marquis unit will work, but as mentioned you will have to swap over the linkage from the column shift to the floor shift setup. Stay away from an AOD from the Town Cars as they have a longer tailshaft.

Back