Mortor unhappy / misfireing?

JiggaJake

So I needed to install a power steering pump in my 1992 5 speed SC, and so with some fun using the (special pulley tool) I was able to get it off and put in a new pump. Cool! I was bleeding the system as told by the book ie: disconnecting the starter power and trying to start the SC to have the air drain out and when I reconnected the starter power and star the SC for real, it was very rough. From a starting of cold around (50F) the coke was kicking in every 2 secounds and it would bounce from less than 1k all the way to 3.5K because it was trying not to stall out. It sounds like it is missfireing but I never touched the plugs and the only thing that is really odd is that when i do try to keep it from stalling (ie) use the gas the boost levels are negiative or opposite from what you would think. I give it gas and it becomes less bost or is reading not postive bost. I don't know what it could be, other than what I disconnected the started power and tryed to turn it on. I did take the supercharger apart, as directed by the book, but nothing is leaking and everything seems to be the way it was. Lastly there was alot of smoke coming from around my pipes and they heated up very quickly, I dont' know if it was burning off oil or power steering fluid or what but that was happening as well. I'm sorry if this is alot to read but I'm kinda stuck in what to do, because I'm sure just trying to get it to not stall over and over again is hurting my mortor.

~Jake

Cliffs:
1. Installed power steering pump
2. Put car back together
3. Bleed the air out as book said
4. Car stalling and will not idle
5. Smoke and random things like bost not working

Yes, there is a sequence listed in the Haynes manual. I couldn't tell you what it is off the top of my head.

When I did mine, I installed the IC and tubes without tightening any of the nuts / bolts. Then I bolted down the SC top. Then I tightened the rest of the connections. I think the last thing I did was to tighten the nut that supports the bottom of the lower IC tube. (I left out the IC tube bracket behind the PS pump bracket.) I used high-temp O2-safe anaerobic gasket maker (red stuff) on all the connections.

after you seal everything you are also suppose to wait a beer or so and go back and re-torque the all the bolts to specs again.

Hmmmm..Lesseee..:rolleyes:

intercooler to tubes retaining nuts - 14 to 22
intercooler to radiator retaining screws - 36 to 40
outlet tube to bracket bolt or stud - 30 to 40
outlet tube to bracket nut - 30 to 40
Supercharger adapter coller nut - 148
Supercharger outlet retaining bolts - 15 to 22
Supercharger retaining bolts
8mm - 14 to 22
12mm - 52 to 70

It does not mention the inlet tube specifically but I would venture a guess that it will mirror the outlet tube....

You are supposed to start with the top then the upper tube then the lower tube to the top first then the IC...that pretty much the sequence Haynes gives

Last edited:
Are some of those numbers in inch-pounds? Because 36 to 40 ft-lbs on those little 8mm screws for the intercooler shroud doesn't make sense.

Back