PDA

View Full Version : timing chain question

ss_scuba
03-28-2006, 11:50 PM
I'm about to change the cam in the SC soon, but have a question about the timing chain. I know that the tensioner is a ratcheting style, is there any way to reset it? or am I stuck buying a new one?

David Neibert
03-29-2006, 12:28 AM
I'm about to change the cam in the SC soon, but have a question about the timing chain. I know that the tensioner is a ratcheting style, is there any way to reset it? or am I stuck buying a new one?

It's spring loaded....push it to the open position and place a small nail in the retaining hole to hold it out of the way.

David

ss_scuba
03-29-2006, 01:18 AM
tried that...it's a ratcheting style. When the chain is removed, it pushes outwards and stays there. Is there a pin that can be pressed out of the way or something?

I thought about just replacing the chain, but it's only got 10k km on the motor. So it's barely worn.

SCaddict
03-29-2006, 01:09 PM
Scott,

Does this mean you change mine now too!:D

mannysc
03-29-2006, 02:15 PM
it should have a spring and a slider push the slider up install the pin and the rubbing block will fold back

Hock
03-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Its a spring loaded type tensioner.

It has a slider on a shaft that has to be moved to releave the spring tension, thats the hard part. Once you release the tension put a small nail or a paper clip in the hole to keep it in place until you install the new chain.

ss_scuba
03-31-2006, 01:24 AM
Thanks guys...been looking at the one off of the spare motor and that's what I was thinking.

Marty, my cam is on the way along with supporting hardware. Should be here in the next two weeks. I've got some heavy wrenching to do as I need to swap out the transmission and change the gas tank. From there it's just re-assembly of the motor, a stop for exhaust, and a dyno tune.

SCaddict
03-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Scott,

Where did you get your cam from?

ss_scuba
04-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Comp Cams.

.500" lift, 218/226 Duration, 112 Lobe Separation.

It's gonna be a rank cam, but it's gonna be nice! Wonder how long I can run around with just dumps on the exhaust before the police want to talk to me.

SCaddict
04-01-2006, 04:41 AM
Was it a big tag? I would LOVE to do mine!;)

ss_scuba
04-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Cam, new beehive springs, retainers, and locks cost about $550. I'm going to measure for pushrods and have to pick them up soon. Gaskets on top of that, and then time.

SCaddict
04-03-2006, 02:19 PM
How long does it take to swap a cam in these cars?

David Neibert
04-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Marty,

It takes about the same amount of time as doing a set of head gaskets....maybe less. A one day job if you have someone helping turn wrenches.

David

Thunder Flee
04-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Do you think you will need new push rods?

ss_scuba
04-04-2006, 02:27 PM
As for pushrods...I will measure and see if I need new ones. Mopac here stocks so many lengths that I will be fine, and if they don't have the length I need, they will get me the proper ones in a hurry.

Marty, to change a cam we don't have to pull the heads off. Just the valve covers to pull the rockers out of the way, lower intake manifold to pull the lifters, and timing cover to get at the cam. Mine should be running for the beginning of may if I get a few days to work on it.

SCaddict
04-04-2006, 06:58 PM
When that thing is running I NEED to hear it. Then I will be jealous and buy one.:D

pablon2
04-04-2006, 07:04 PM

Make sure to check the guides on the tensioner. If they are worn you might want to buy a new tensioner, especially if you have higher spring rates. They come as cheap as $30 (Rock Auto) or up to $75 (Morana). Edit: Morana charges $50 for tensioners and not $75.

coupeCorona
04-04-2006, 09:24 PM
how long are the push rods suppose to be? i am redoing my motor right now for my 94 sc and i was wondering if i need new one or not? the motor has 134xxx on it soo? plus the reason i am redoing it the other owner push this thing so hard it rock a hole in the piston!!!!!!!!

Mike8675309
04-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Push rods need to be whatever length is necessary to achieve proper geometry. thus, it depends.

If you're bolting all the same stuff back in, then you're o.k. But if you get a new cam, or didn't keep track of which push rod was where, good luck.

ss_scuba
04-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm going to wind up measuring for what size push rod I need with an adjustable pushrod checker. Just measure for what size you need, then add what preload you want on the lifter (like .030" or .040") and order. If I need to change the geometry, I've get enough shims of various thicknesses for the rockers if I have to.

I'll see about getting a sound clip, but it's gonna be loud as I'm also changing the gas tanks out to a late style and thus I will be in need of new exhaust.