AOD Rebuild. Special Tools??

dimarra

It seems every time I pay someone to do work for me, I get screwed over, so...

I think I've decided to rebuild my AOD.

I'm sure I can handle the work. It's just a matter of being clean and careful. Right?

Are there are any special tools required that can't be easily fabricated.

Any input appreciated. (No, that's not a transmission joke.)

Keith

slide hammer, seal installation tool, picks, needle nose pliers. I tried to do mine but after it was all said and done I just left it to the professionals and bought a trans. I would have only saved a couple hundred bucks doing the rebuild myself, plus a new one comes dyno tested so you know its going to work. Anyways good luck

Go for it

dimarra said:
It seems every time I pay someone to do work for me, I get screwed over, so...

Well, I've never done an AOD, but have done several others (Torqueflite, C4, C6, TH400, etc.). Typically, there are few special tools needed. A set of snap ring pliers come in handy as do a set of seal/bushing drivers. At some point, you'll probably have to take a sub-assembly to someone with a press to push something apart, or compress springs to remove a snap ring, etc.

Get yourself a good service manual, and a large, well lit bench or work area; you're absolutely right about the cleanliness. You'll be amazed at how simple an A/T is once you get inside. Just go slow and be organized.

I'm sure some of the trans guru's on this site can fill you in on the peculiarities, if any, of the AOD.

Good luck and have fun.

JD

Tools you will need. Snap ring pliers, (you need the internal/external type and the flat type) pocket screwdriver(s),clutch spring compressor, seal installers,H-gauge or rotunda gauge bar,feeler gauge set,general sockets,sidecutters,razor blades,picks,and a slide hammer or another method of pulling the pump. I use a crowsfoot prybar and a set of bolts that fits the holes(either 3/8 course or 10x1.5 depending on year). To build an aod right can get very expensive on parts. If you need any special parts you have trouble getting let me know I build packages for people all the time. Some people I even send fully stacked drums to avoid the costly clutch spring compressor plus I can machine them for extra frictions.
Alan

Back