5-Speed Acting Funny ?

SuperCoupe007

Hey guys, I got a 90 5-speed. Someday in April or sooner I am going to replace the clutch, with a LUK clutch kit as well as the slave cylinder. OK here it goes. In the mornings when i start the car the clutch has no resistance the first half of clutch pedal travel, and resistance the last half of pedal travel. As I drive for 30 minutes or so, the pedal then has full resistance throughout all pedal travel ( This is one of the reasons why I am replacing everyting). If I am at a stop and push the clutch pedal all the way in, and try to put it into 1st gear it wont go in. After lets say 3 or 4 or maybe 5 seconds of holding the clutch pedal down, 1st gear goes in, relatively easy. My question is, is this sign that the tranny synchros or something internal is worn out ???

The day I replace the clutch I would like to open the tranny and take some pics of its gears and all to post here to see if anyone can see anything that might seem worn or anything, since I don't know what to look for. I'll keep this post updated incase I change the clutch earlier than April.
Thanks...
:)

SuperCoupe007 said:
If I am at a stop and push the clutch pedal all the way in, and try to put it into 1st gear it wont go in. After lets say 3 or 4 or maybe 5 seconds of holding the clutch pedal down, 1st gear goes in, relatively easy. My question is, is this sign that the tranny synchros or something internal is worn out ???
As my car is currently at the shop getting a new one, this sounds like a slave cylinder issue. If you're not grinding getting into gears, your synchros are probably fine. Sounds like you've got the right plan, so for the short term consider starting out in 2d gear if 1st is too hard to get into.

Mike Puckett said:
You might need to bleed the clutch line or it might just be low on fluid.
Agreed. Your description is similar to what I experienced. Something also about the fluid getting hot as well when the level is low, but I can't remember what exactly right now. It got much better after we bled and refilled the system.

Ira

rock5:::::: Actually I to get it into any forward gear, and it wont go in, until after 3 or 4 seconds of holding down the clutch pedal, then it will go into any forward gear.

Mike Puckett::::::
irar:::::::::::::::::

Actually somehow, the slave cylinder is leaking. That is what expedited the change of the clutch. I have to fill up the reservoir once every 3 or 4 days. :mad: So its gonna be all new clutch system. :eek: Hope that gets ride of my problem...
:)

Back