A couple issues with my new SC

repoman27

Hey all,
First of all let me say I am new to owning a super charged vehicle as well as to this forum. I've been looking over things on here and can't believe the amounts of information I can find. Here are the basics. I have a 1989 SC 5spd with 167K miles. I have no idea whats been done to the car other than I just had a clutch put in it. I traded my 86 TC for the SC and $800 due to the fact that the SC needed a clutch and my TC was running. The guy I got the car from towed it in off the side of the road for the Sheriff's department and it was never claimed. It sat at his lot for about a year prior to him getting the legal paperwork to sell it. The first thing that concerns me is the speedo. I know these are fast cars but it seems like it takes no time to get to 85-90 mph. Also, in my daily commute where I usually run about 75 and keeping up with traffic, I will be getting past at 75 in the SC. In order to keep up with traffic its pushing 90 and at only about 2100rpm. Is there any way for me to check the accuracy? More importantly its getting terrible gas mileage. I figured it up to about 10.67mpg and I don't get on it much at all. The check engine light comes on and off periodically but I never smell anything funny, nor does the car seem to run bad or miss. I know the fuel gauge is pretty accurate from my recent 4 mile hike to the nearest gas station. Where should I begin? I have a couple more little things like my wipers don't work and my heat is tempermentle but Im more worried about the gas mileage right now as I commute 27 miles each way to work and this car is killing me. I thouroughly love the car and as much as I hate to think it, if I can't get the mileage up somewhat Im gonna have to park it and find another TC. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The reply most common to the fuel issue I see is goto Auto Zone and get some codes....
The speedo may be from a car with a taller rear gear.
2100 RPMs in 5th gear is 77 MPH with stock rear gear and 60mm tire profile.
I know this because I had an SC with no Speedo and was curious about my speed. There is a calculator around somewhere, do a search...
Welcome!

paul:)

If I were you I'd be most worried about the tempermental heat...sounds a lot like the signs of a headgasket about to go...

Only thing I can think of when it comes to speeds on the speedo would have to deal with the rear gear as mentioned above. Also the check engine light could be a whole list of stuff...if its just flashing on and off and nothing seems to be affected, start by cleaning the MAF since I doubt anyone has over the 287K life span.

-Tim

Tim Groth said:
If I were you I'd be most worried about the tempermental heat...sounds a lot like the signs of a headgasket about to go...-Tim

Woa I missed that one!
Mine is sitting in the garage right now with a blown HG.
Don't get discouraged, the ride is worth it!
I am starting on the Heads this weekend I hope!
:)

codes say you

thirdbird said:
The reply most common to the fuel issue I see is goto Auto Zone and get some codes....

What are these codes of which you speak?
--swapping out the ABS master tomorrow ...soon again to be getting low gas milage. Be able to slow down now though:cool:

codes, I said!

phesterzBird said:
thirdbird said:

--swapping out the ABS master tomorrow ...soon again to be getting low gas milage. Be able to slow down now though:cool:

I never had to get codes pulled on any of my cars as yet, so I don't know specific codes and numbers. I sometimes see posts telling what this or that code means.....
Either someone will chime in to give their meanings, or you will have to make the AZ employee a little busier than he/she is accustomed to....
Having brakes is a real nice feeling, I hope your HG's don't blow two days after you are done converting like mine did!
good luck!

paul

phesterzBird said:
thirdbird said:

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?3829

That's a new digital one (older ones make you count the beeps). It should come with a manual that describes each code, but if you post the codes here, these guys will diagnose in further detail.

Back