BHJ Balancer Material......

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
To those of you that HAVE a BHJ balancer, or have at least seen one in person.... What are material are they made of? I've heard aluminum and steel, and stainless steel... and seen pictures of a "BHJ" with rust on it that looked identical to an old stock balancer. The pictures I've seen look more like a polished steel material to me, but I don't know. :confused:

They are all steel with an elastomer dampening ring between the hub and the outer piece. There is NO aluminum or stainless and they will rust if not protected in some way. The new shiney appearance comes from the manufacturing process. They look different than the stock units and are heavier.

Balancer material.

I just purchased one from Spinning Wheels and the material appears to be steel. Very well machined, very impressive. Can't tell you the alloy.

To keep it pretty, it will need painting or clear coating. No powder coating! The elastomer will not take the bake temp.

Doug

Some pics: (early model 89-93)

Attachments

• BHJ004sm.jpg
    BHJ004sm.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 80
  • BHJ005sm.jpg
    BHJ005sm.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 68
  • BHJ006sm.jpg
    BHJ006sm.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 70
Thanks

Thanks for the replies! I thought i remembered planning to clear coat one if I ever bought it.....so it IS steel. I'll try to correct the mistaken parties :) Thanks!

Pick up some rattle can clear coat or paint it black with some rattle can stuff.

You could also try using schelac.

I'll probably just use some rattle can clear coat on mine. You'll want to clean it good so the stuff sticks.

Mike8675309 said:
Pick up some rattle can clear coat or paint it black with some rattle can stuff.

You could also try using schelac.

I'll probably just use some rattle can clear coat on mine. You'll want to clean it good so the stuff sticks.

Can it be painted all the way? Or just the "head"...?

You can paint the whole thing... just keep the paint out of the part that sits on the crankshaft, as the tollerance just doesn't allow room for the paint.

Keep in mind that the elastomer ring area will eventuall peel and chip off due to it's movement when running.

I would also not paint the area that slides into the cam cover past the seal. This could be abrasive for the seal and could potentially flake off inside the engine. Just mask of the inside part where the keyway is (like Mike mentioned) and the outside of that same area far enough so your painted area does not get into the engine.

Back