new slave cylinder

nascar john

i just had a new[not rebuilt]slave cylinder installed in my 91 sc. the clutch,pressure plate,throw out bearing and fly wheel were all in very good condition so we left them alone. i now have a grind going into first gear unless i come to a complete stop and go to second gear first. is there an adjustment that was missed
thanks
john

Find a flat surface, push the clutch in, and put it in first. does the car start to roll? If so you may need to shim the slave cylinder because it's not releasing the clutch all of the way.

If that's not it, sounds like you lost the first gear syncro. You could verify by double clutching it. Push clutch, put trans in neutral, release clutch, push clutch, slip into 1st. If it goes, bad syncro.

How Much Shim?

Mike8675309 said:
Find a flat surface, push the clutch in, and put it in first. does the car start to roll? If so you may need to shim the slave cylinder because it's not releasing the clutch all of the way.

If that's not it, sounds like you lost the first gear syncro. You could verify by double clutching it. Push clutch, put trans in neutral, release clutch, push clutch, slip into 1st. If it goes, bad syncro.

I am about to change my slave, sounds like my situation exactly. I know my sunchros are good. How does one figure out how much shim to use on a clutch with ?? wear?

paul

If you dissasembled the clutch / pressure plate to determine they were in "good condition" it's possible your pressure plate bolts are coming loose. Is the problem getting worse by the mile? This could be the pressure plate bolts getting looser, ultimately you won't be able to drive the car if this is the problem.

As the clutch disc wears thinner you would need less of a shim, not more. A brand new clutch disc requires the most amount of shim, if any.

Inspect the travel of the slave cylinder via the inspection hole on the drivers side of the tranny. Is it moving? How far?

I had to pull my tranny twice when I did my clutch.

good luck.
Bob

slave cylinder

MartianBob said:
If you dissasembled the clutch / pressure plate to determine they were in "good condition" it's possible your pressure plate bolts are coming loose. Is the problem getting worse by the mile? This could be the pressure plate bolts getting looser, ultimately you won't be able to drive the car if this is the problem.

As the clutch disc wears thinner you would need less of a shim, not more. A brand new clutch disc requires the most amount of shim, if any.

Inspect the travel of the slave cylinder via the inspection hole on the drivers side of the tranny. Is it moving? How far?

I had to pull my tranny twice when I did my clutch.

good luck.
Bob
[/i am going to take my car in in a few days and need to know how much travel i am looking for and whether i need a thin or thick shim depending on the travel.
thanks
john

Back