Custom Half Shafts

Wzenheimer

I have been dealing with a manufacturing facility that makes CV housings and joints for racing applications. They are also into rock crawlers and build custom pieces for those individuals as well.

Anyway, I finally got to speak to one of their engineers today and as it turns out they can produce us an upgraded replacement in TWO different versions.

Version 1
Utilizes a new outer CV cage, Race, and housing. Which is then attached to 300M shaft material that is attached to a Porche 930 joint. The porche 930 joint is then attached to a Mini stub axle they produce that slips into the carrier. This axle assembly should handle 400-500hp.

Cost is relatively expensive $700 each.

Version 2
Identical to the above but a different shaft material is used. The material brings the HP rating over 1000hp. They gurantee this shaft WILL NOT BREAK and if it does they will replace it no questions asked. I even explained how I was going to Dump a 650ftlbs engine on them and he said no biggie.

Even more expensive at $850 each.

Those costs listed above were just buying 1 set. I was told if I could get at least 5 or more sets the price would come down depending upon #s.

Would anyone be interested in these at all?

Chris

As of 3/31/06 at 1207am CST.

Peeps so far:
David Neibert
David Dalke
Kurt K...(I can't spell your last name is it Kreisz?)
Mike Tuck
Myself Chris Wise
Brian Oatway

Thats already 6 just 4 more would be even more of a discount

EDIT*** (3/31/06 500pm CST)
I could not reach my contact today to get group buy pricing info I will update again on monday.

Last edited:
Just so I can keep it clear on the list could everyone please specifiy which version they are interested in thanks.

Chris

It seems odd that the joints and outer parts are capable of 1000hp but the shaft is only capable of 400-500. The stock shafts will handle that much, I'm not aware of anyone ever breaking one.

I guess I'd go for the better ones.

Last edited:
Those prices are for EACH shaft and that is if I only order 1 set meaning 2 shafts. The price comes down for 5 sets or more and again for 10 sets or more. I will have more pricing information tomorrow.

David I'll check into that as well...I mentioned that and it was just a join in material. I bet the Version 1 shafts are good for nearly 700hp but getting them to say it is another thing. I will find out if those are gurranteed no matter what as well.

Chris

Last edited:
People have been breaking the cages themselves or even the splined ends before the shaft..Once those weakpoints are fixed its the shaft.

Now Chris,

We may want to look into 31 splined differential sides. Might as well if going to a new joint

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
People have been breaking the cages themselves or even the splined ends before the shaft..Once those weakpoints are fixed its the shaft.

Now Chris,

We may want to look into 31 splined differential sides. Might as well if going to a new joint

Its already on the list to check into. I was considering using a cobra diff which already has a 31 spline posi unit in it. And your right once we stop breaking cages it will be the shaft itself.

Chris

Wzenheimer said:
Just so I can keep it clear on the list could everyone please specifiy which version they are interested in thanks.

Chris

I want the good ones w/28 spline. Please confirm the HP rating is for 28 spline diff and not the 31 spline.

David

I need some but I the cost would have to come down significantly. Before I spent $1700 per pair, I would probably just put in a solid 8.8 axel with a 4 link and coil overs. I would rather keep the IRS with unbreakable axels, but I could never spend that much.

Slysc said:
I need some but I the cost would have to come down significantly. Before I spent $1700 per pair, I would probably just put in a solid 8.8 axel with a 4 link and coil overs. I would rather keep the IRS with unbreakable axels, but I could never spend that much.

Dan,

I understand your concern but have you priced putting a custom 4 link rear in our cars. Your looking at probably $3500+. Lets see find an 8.8 from a stang. $150 (junk yard), overhauld kit etc ($300) Buy a 4 link kit from custom engineering or whoever ($1129 summit) adapt brake hardware ($100) new wheels to match the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern (unless you did this already $400). Misc crapola ($100) and not to mention your time and effort welding, setting up gears etc. = total of $2179 just for starters. AND lost time of driving the SC.

These axles are a direct bolt in replacement. Just my opinion of course but I think you would be money ahead.

Chris

Chris,

At this time I'm only intrested in buying one set and will be installing them on the turbo car. At a later date I may transfer the pumpkin and halfshafts over to my 91 and upgrade to a 31 spline diff and shafts for the turbo car.

David

I have thought this over.I do not make enough RWHP.
To be worried about breaking any half shafts. So I
would not be interested.

Thanks RANDY

Last edited:
Back