OD?? feels like neutral to me.

Coldgin

My AOD shifts thru the gears normally until it hit overdrive. When it shifts to OD, there is nothing. It is like the car was shifted into neutral. Any ideas what would cause this? Also, is this a rebuild or replace situation?

Coldgin said:
My AOD shifts thru the gears normally until it hit overdrive. When it shifts to OD, there is nothing. It is like the car was shifted into neutral. Any ideas what would cause this? Also, is this a rebuild or replace situation?

Yeup, what they said. Your OD band is gone. You could just select "D" for drive on your shifter. That'll keep it from attempting to shift into overdrive. Unless you do a lot of highway driving then you might want to look into a rebuild sometime soon.

Surprisingly the fluid looks pretty good. Just slightly off red, but not brown or burnt looking. If I was to replace the OD band or clutches, can this be done on the car, or is it a bench job?

You have rebuilt the transmission. Your OD band and reverse drum are trash. You probably have some foreign matter in the trans and the entire thing needs to be cleaned.

Good Luck

Ken

have you check to see if the tv cable is still hooked up.if it came loose then the od band is toast like stated,and if drove long enough you will loose third gear or direct clutch.

AOD schematics

Yeah, the TV cable was off. Don't know how long though. Typical crumbled throttle body grommet. It's back on now. Will it he OK to drive around town until I can repair or replace the tranny?
Any idea where to find AOD exploded view schematics on the net? Or does anyone have copies that could be emailed?

IF the TV pressure is okay then yes you are fine to drive like it is...just stay our of OD position...as if it matters.

You can see diagrams all over the web if you google...but I like www.transtarindustries.com - hard to navigate...just click MORE>>>

91BLOWNSC said:
Yeup, what they said. Your OD band is gone. You could just select "D" for drive on your shifter. That'll keep it from attempting to shift into overdrive. Unless you do a lot of highway driving then you might want to look into a rebuild sometime soon.

just curious, i heard from somone that it is not good for the car in some way shape or form....i only heard it once, but it didnt really make since to me, cuz the OD on my AOD is all messed up, and i just leave it on "D" unless im on the freeway or go over about 45mph...but i was just wondering if that can screw anything up, cuz i dont believe that it can, just curious

Ran my beater cougar like that for 2 winters now. May not be good for the trans, but since od is a band and 3rd gear uses the direct drive shaft, it should be o.k. on pressures and such.

Back