1/4 mile problem

SC POWER

Does any one know why I ran, 15.6 @ 88mph with all stock and ported blower and now I'm running 16.1 @ 88mph but this time 10% overdrive pulley and straight pipe exhaust, nothing, cut out cats, reso, mufler. So can any one know what's the problem?

What were your 60 ft times on those 2 runs? My guess was there was some tire spin on the second pass.
Is your car an auto or 5 speed?

it's a five speed and i wermed my tires up before i took off, and it was great. I have practiced my take off very well. this time I have welded these rear mounts and jaked up on then at the same time.

There is something wrong with your car.Your trap speed is really low with those mods.My trap speed was 92-94 mph with only MAC intake and catback exhaust.You should be in 14's ET with your mods -no problem.

That 10% pulley is cramming hot air into your engine before the IC can cool it. I'd look into an IC fan or a bigger intercooler. If you warmed up your tires that means you were probably in boost while sitting still which will also help heat up your intercooler. Did you ice it down at all before your runs? What's your location? is it at a high altitude?

sc power said:
it's a five speed and i wermed my tires up before i took off, and it was great. I have practiced my take off very well. this time I have welded these rear mounts and jaked up on then at the same time.

You warmed up the tires? What kind of tires are they? If you have just regular street tires you should NOT "warm them up". Street tires will get oily when heated up. If that is what you are running, you should avoid the water box (go around it) and just spin the tires lightly to clean of any debris.

1/4 Mile Run

I have street tires and it gripped allot better then skipping the box. I was spinning these tires all the way in 1st gear and some what 2nd gear, this time it didn't, just started to roll. I'll try some puller fans thinking of 2 8" behind my intercooler. I also going to send off my other two interncoolers and have them welded together for like $100 or so. now I have total of 3 stock intercoolers.

sc times

I did not see if you had put a chip in the car. My 93 stock with exhaust and mild ported blower 10% pulley would not run under wot without a chip it was so lean it cut out. I tuned it myself with my sct softwear and ran in the summer 14.7 on street tires. I added 373's and going to put the sticky tires on i think low 14.'s is do able.

I'll also try to get the re-programmable chip aslo then

what about the shift points, I have been getting up to 4000rpm when I shifted and 2400 when I get off the line.

If you are running a 10%, stock IC, and no IC fan. To high intake temps is the problem. When the air intake temps get to high the computer retards the timing causing power loss.

My buddy was getting great 60 foot and 1/8 times, but then the car was puking in the 2nd 1/8th because of the high air temps. He added a IC fan and seat of the pants he could tell the difference. The car hasn't been to the track since then.

1/4 Mile Run

I'm currently working on my intercooler, I'm double stocking it and I'm thinking of putting two 800-1200 CFM and probably aluminum radiator if the engine still getting hot after that. Radiator I have in mine right now works good, but not exactly to well on stop and roll.

If he is running the same MPH then the car is making the same power . . . it is that easy. He is slow because he is spinning. Warming up street tires will not help, only hurt. Keep practicing.

Dave

Why are you shifting at such low rpms ? You should not be shifting until about 500 rpms past peak power. I would try shifting at around 5500 and see how it does.

David

sc power said:
5000 rpm redline 7000 total

so you think I should do that? shift at 5500? it's a 93 3.8 sc manual
My AOD with a shift kit will hold 1st to 5500. 2nd....Now that's a different story:eek:

David Neibert said:
Why are you shifting at such low rpms ? You should not be shifting until about 500 rpms past peak power. I would try shifting at around 5500 and see how it does.

David

i always shift my built aod at about 4800 wouldnt even think as high as 5500

sc power said:
5000 rpm redline 7000 total

so you think I should do that? shift at 5500? it's a 93 3.8 sc manual

I'm just guessing your power peaks somewhere close to 5000 rpms...so yes try shifting at 5500. You can work your way up to that amount in 500 rpms increments...start by shifting at 4500, then 5000, then 5500.

Your not even reaching peak power shifting at 4000 rpms....not to mention where it's at after the shift. Shifting at higher rpms will keep the motor running in the meat of the power band and get you down the track quicker and faster.

My peak HP is right about 6000 rpms and the car runs the fastest and quickest when shifted at about 6500 rpms.

David

trife86 said:
i always shift my built aod at about 4800 wouldnt even think as high as 5500

If you want the best times from any motor, shift about 300-500 rpms after peak HP. If your peak HP is 4800 then shift at 5100-5300 and so on. It's not going to hurt the motor to rev to 5500....if that breaks it, something was already wrong and would have broken anyway.

David

PS: Your motor is under the most strain at peak torque.

I tried to get up to 4800 rpm and I was not filling any hard power/acceleration instead of when I shift at 4000 rpm that's when I'm feeling it's loosing after that.

if i shifted my car at 4k i'd get beat by civics.

Run that thing to 5500-6000. I've shifted my 5-speed at 6k before. If your at the track to race, get your moneys worth.

Also who ported your blower. If they ~~~~ed it up it will hurt more than it helps. Also what kind of exhaust setup do you have?

Back