Intake Question

Billabong089

I removed the lower intake up to reseal it and check it out since i had everything else apart.

My brother who works at a mechanic told me the end seals are dumb and just to use a thick bead of silicone for the lower intake. He and this other mechanic claims that they break down with oil,etc and start to leak and that silcone at the ends are a better choice.

Any opinions on this matter?

Also, Is there anyway to look or check the fuel injectors to see if they are working properly, like my car has been running real crappy so I decided a top end rebuild since I needed to fix the brakes anyway.

I'm replacing all gaskets (obviously), plugs, wires, fuel pressure regulator, crank sensor , anything else yuou guys can think of since I have like half the engine apart?

I've gone both ways with the intake end seals. With small block Chevy's I usually just used the bead of RTV. I've never really had a problem with the rubber end gaskets though. Some/most newer engines have an alignment feature in the gasket or block so the seal is positioned properly and won't want to move around. Can't remember if the SC does. I know the older SBC's just had cork end seals with no alignment feature. Those were always fun.

While you have the engine apart have you replaced your engine mounts? Now would be a good time since you have easy access to them.

The stock SC end seals are cork. Upgrade to the splitport end seals. (96+ Windstar, 99+ Mustang, etc.) They are rubber and lock in place.

S_Mazza said:
The stock SC end seals are cork. Upgrade to the splitport end seals. (96+ Windstar, 99+ Mustang, etc.) They are rubber and lock in place.

If you buy Felpro Intake gasket set for the SC it comes with rubber end seals. Personally I just buy the 3.8 N/A gaskets because they are half the cost and the only thing they don't come with is the gasket for the return plenum other than that they are the same gaskets set.

Charles

um the upper intake is different than the na 3.8 but in all honestly does it matter if I use those rubber gaskets, I plan on getting the intake gasket set, comes wiht like all gaskets needed for the lower and upper intake, TB, IAC,etc

Should I replace the o-rings on the fuel injectors or are they fine? they looked fine to me.

Back