Transmission replacement

Asmodeous

I recently started having problems with my 92' SC. I have the 5 spd, and I noticed that when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd all I get is grinding. I can't seem to be able to downshift unless my rpms are really low. I also started having problems when I shift up to 2nd, it seems the synchronizer is not working properly.

Seeing that tranny work is rather expensive, I started thinking that maybe I should replace the whole transmission with either a new M5R2, rebuild the one I have, or get my hands on a T-5(mustang). Can anyone give me the pro's and con's on those 3 options? Approximately how much it'll cost me if you know?

the T5 shifter location is too far forward ( by about 6" i think) and your shifter would have to come up through your climate control:p . Also the T5 is about 4" shorter than the M5R2, so you will need to get a new driveshaft, or your current driveshaft lengthened. MN12 performance, as well as spinningwheelsSC and perhaps a few other venders sell shifter extension kits that are used in conjunction with a T56 shifter. The kit is suppoed to relocate the shifter. However the one from MN12performance was incorrectly engineered and doesn't work correctly; i believe SpinningwheelsSC has the same problem with their shifter extension. I modified the shifter extension that i bought from MN12performance so that it now works. Sometime this week i need to bring in the yoke off the driveshaft to my job to make sure it still clears the shifter extension after the modification.

On top of all that....the stock T5 is not deisgned to handle the torque that the SC motor produces, although i have heard of msutangs running gobs of torque through them without any problems. In any case i would say; save yourself the hastle and go with either a rebuild, or a brand new M5R2 Whichever suits your fancy.

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like the t5 is more trouble than it's worth. I'll stick with the M5R2, but I'm not sure if it will be a new one or if I'll rebuild the one I have. I haven't seen anyone selling new M5R2s, any idea where I can find a vendor?

Back