needs new rod bearings?

L-M tech

i'm fixin to redo the front suspenstion on my 90 coupe and have come to the conclution that it need new rod bearings.when i start the car the engine doesnt knock but you put it into gear and take of down the road,no hard drive away no boost,and you hear a knock in the engine for the first 2-5 miles.after that the knock goes away. my question is has anyone actually found there bearings in the copper and went back with standard bearings and had luck with it.when i did this i was planning on going to full synthetic15w 50 motor oil.anyone give me a thumbs up or down on this.thanks in advance.

A lot of the SC motors have been put back together with standard SC bearings. If all you're planning to do is rebuild it back to stock, then such bearings will be just fine.

It's only if you want to get more performance where you really should insist on a better bearing.

i agree.i work at a lincoln mercury dealership and kinda get burned out and my brain goes to mush when my wife says the trucks doing this,or the coupe is doing this.i have kinda grown up out of the go fast years,thank god for a 8 year old daughter, but back to the car.i dont plan on doing anything other that get the car back into the shape that it wonce was.i'm going to find a used motor to build when the time and money come aroud.thanks for the input and will let you know how the repair turns out.:D

Back