clunking noise from rear

Coldgin

My car makes a loud clunking noise from the rear passenger side every time I go over a bump. Also the car has rather loud road noise that is consistent with the vehicle speed. Any idea what might cause these? Its getting rather annoying.

sounds like it could be either of these:

IRS universal joint
broken shock mount
worn out suspension bushings
work out shock/strut

Coldgin said:
Also the car has rather loud road noise that is consistent with the vehicle speed.

Sounds like a wheel bearing that's gone, don't wait long to fix it if that's the problem.

Wheel bearing... That never crossed my mind... Hmm...

Well if it is indeed a wheel bearing then heed shotbirds advice asap

I have a noise similiar to what you described on my 94 sc, except mine sounds more like a 'thud' than a 'clunk'. I notice it more when the Firm ride is OFF. At first i thought it was the exhaust hitting someting, but im not sure.

-Nick

Im probably due for new shocks/struts... Can U just install any set or do I have to get ones specially for the auto ride?

the constant noise is likely your wheel bearings, but if that noise also has a vibration, then check your driveshaft bolts out. I actually found mine hanging on by two bolts, and they were both loose. Replaced them all and no more noise or vibration at all.

I think ride control is kinda pointless... I dont want a doft plush ride... I want a firm sport ride and now in this day and age we can have performance and ride

Back