trans vibration

1QuikV6

At highway speeds under light throttle there is a very apparent vibration and when off the throttle getting back onto it it vibrates for a second as well. Not sure whats up with it... Any insight? Its a 1990 AOD

I would guess U-Joints are not the best on the drive shaft. That would give you a consistant vibration but more so under load then not.

Hopefully it's not a chattering issue within the transmission, Does the tranney slip in and out of gear ever? When was the last time your transmisison oil was changed? If this is more like your problem try changing the oil and filter in the trans.

Off the throttle sounds more like u-joints though. Good luck.

I also get a vibration, like instant wheel balance type, when I accellerate real hard. As soon as I feather the gas and get back on it disappears. I have solid engine mounts and was wondering if it could be the trans mount. I have MN12's urethane bushings to install, but just wondered if anyone had experienced a similar vibration. Wheel balance & brake rotors at high speed are fine. I would have expected U-joints to be more of an actual knocking sound.?

Its never slipped in and out of gear except when coasting down out if 4th into 3rd and then it takes a second to pick up 3rd. Once in a blue moon the trans won't want to go into Drive from Reverse but that hasnt happened lately. It does have a shift kit and a nonlocking converter though. 253k miles... so I guess it might be due. The fluid was changed a few years back so it might have like 30k miles on the fluid so its about due.

Also from a standstill accellerating it has a barely noticeable throb. like it catches and releases very very lightly, barely noticeable. once its warm its gone. It has a trans cooler as well.

It was a mod by the precious owner. I want to say its mounted with the radiator but its been a while since I even bothered to look. I'll run outside later when I get a chance and check it out. Are you saying a trans cooler could be the culprit???

1QuikV6 said:
Also from a standstill accellerating it has a barely noticeable throb. like it catches and releases very very lightly, barely noticeable. once its warm its gone. It has a trans cooler as well.

Definately change that oil and see if it helps it. It sounds a little low on oil or it isn't getting the proper flow. If it doesn't fix anything at least you have some nice clean oil in there and then you can look at the harder stuff.:cool:

Seized up U-joints can give you a constant vibration as they are staying out of alignment when they are spinning and putting the driveshaft out of balance. It feels like a tire is out of balance but you just can pinpoint which side it's coming from.

Well Im going to go ahead and have the trans fluid and filter changed. Its more than likely due for it. If that doesnt solve it then rebuilding an AOD isnt hard at all.. lot simpler than the 4R70W and more bulletproof as well. Best of all there are no electronics to deal with on it. I just might look into a rebuild kit... I'll have my roommates Hyundai while hes on vacation so I can stand to have the bird down for a week or so.

Back