Is this a transmission or engine problem?

SuperCoupe94

Ill try to expain as best as i can. I just got my new SC last week and there is only one thing that concerns me with the car. At WOT it is fine, it accelerates will and shifts fine. But at light to medium throttle, the car shifts abnormally. For instance, if im driving at about 30 mph and accelerate lightly, the car will upshift and it will stop accelerating until i hit the gas harder and it downshifts and i can accelerate again. It does this mostly in the lower gears, it is fine on the highway, but it gets annoying when im driving at city speeds. If it means anything i have a bbk 70mm throttle body and an after market cold air intake.

it probably means ur TV CABLE is not adjusted properly... if it isnt adjusted or attached to the throttle body linkage then most likely ur cooking ur tranny.... look up TV CABLE ADJUSTMENT and get some info on how to adjust it. see if that solves ur problem.

TV Cables are only on AOD/ AOD-E's right? I think Im due for an adjustment considering its high mileage and has a shift kit. Not all that familiar with the AOD's considering all my birds have had the M5R2 except for this one.

How many miles are on your 1994 trans? and have you done any upgrades or repairs to it. The MLPS mentioned is on the side of the trans case and 94's had poor gaskets on them, which allowed water to get in and cause problems. You can also read-up on your 4R70W trans on the excellent article on the TCCOA site - although it's kinda scary how many problems this trans had in the first year 1994. Mine started acting up at about 25k with the classic up-shift hesitation. That was cured by flushing out the fluid and using Mercon V (torque converter is the real problem, but the fluid change helps). I also replaced the faulty alum. accumulator pistons, the mlps, solenoids and installed the larger '96 pan & filter + a Transgo shift kit. Upgrading to a '96 valve body was also recommended, but I stayed with the Transgo modification of the stock VB. Now I have 130,000m and apart from a small fluid leak from the torque converter case (probably the seal between the TC & the trans due to the Mercon V), the trans has been a gem. I change just the pan fluid every 15,000 and drain the TC & replace the filter every 30,000. Hope that helps.

Thanks alot jim

thanks, ill change the tranny fluid this week and see if it helps. The problem isnt really THAt bad, but is something id like to fix.

thanks again

Peter

well when u change the fluid add a bottle of LUCAS TRANSMISSION FIX... great stuff.... have fun changing the fluid..

Back