PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust help

SuperCoupe94
04-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Hi, im interested in re-doing my exhaust since i dont want to blow my headgaskets when i start doing engine mods, im just kind of overwhelmed by all of the options. I already have a flowmaster cat-back which im keeping on. My question is, is there a combination of headers or ported manifolds and downpipes with no cats that i can buy that will bolt right up to the engine and the catback exhaust. Im kind of on a tight budget and want to get the most i can without having to spend too much on getting installed. Thanks for the help

68COUGAR
04-03-2006, 11:20 PM
is there a combination of headers or ported manifolds and downpipes with no cats that i can buy that will bolt right up to the engine and the catback exhaust.
Wynn (tbird88) does ported stock manifolds AND cat-less drag pipes. You can also click on the Texas Thunderbirds link at the top of the page, when you see it. Same guy. Talk to Wynn, he'll hook ya up!!!!!! He's a GREAT SC Guy!!!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

SuperCoupe94
04-04-2006, 12:30 AM
thanks, i was looking at those earlier and emailer him. How do ported manifolds compare to headers?

68COUGAR
04-04-2006, 01:28 AM
How do ported manifolds compare to headers?
I'm sure the ported manifolds are cheaper than the $750 I pd. for my SCCoA shorty headers!!! That was back when Bill Hull was runnin' the show.

Oh Yeah, Sometimes it's hard to get ahold of Wynn. He's always REAL busy!

Dunno if Wynn has ported manifolds on the shelf, or you have to send him yours. If you have to send him some to modify, you might want to consider buying some manifolds to send him. That way you don't have as much down time on your car. You can just R&R'em when you get'em.

68COUGAR

Tony8470
04-04-2006, 01:48 AM
If you want to go dirt cheap like I did awhile back. Take a dremel. Or even a power drill if you have some muscle and time. grind away the lip inside the exhuast manifold and gut the cats. Total cost will be for the grinding stone or bits, whichever you prefer.

Headers are stupid for sc's (no offense to 68cougar) They help with scavenging the cylinders. We dont need that since we are boosted. Somewhere it was shown that ported manifolds are sufficient airflow for most sc's on these boards.

XR7inWI
04-04-2006, 02:30 AM
I believe Dave Dalke (XR7 Dave) said he ran identical times in the 1/4 mile with mid-length headers as with ported manifolds. THAT right there should tell ya something.

Wynn does a great job on the "drag pipes" or down tubes (whichever ya wanna call them). I bought a set from over the winter, just been waiting for nicer weather to get them in (no garage :( ) along with the Flowmaster "resonator back kit" and the Flowmaster "resonator kit". Bought all the Flowmaster stuff through www.supercoupeperformance.com and the drag pipes/down tubes from Wynn (as stated before). Now if the weather would cooperate I could get this all done finally.

68COUGAR
04-04-2006, 03:58 AM
Headers are stupid for sc's (no offense to 68cougar) They help with scavenging the cylinders. We dont need that since we are boosted.
(1) No Offense Taken.

(2) Headers also decrease backpressure, due to the collector being further away from the head.

(3) How much BOOST is there in the EXHAUST cycle?

68COUGAR

Joisey Jim
04-04-2006, 12:15 PM
I have a set of Wynn's ported stock manifolds and SCP's downpipes (with high flow cats) on my '94; plus a Flowmaster Force 2 exhaust system. Sounds nice & seems to flow well. I bought my set of '94 manifolds used on e-bay and shipped them to Wynn for porting. He does a real nice job, including painting them. His downpipes are also much less expensive than SCP's, but you'll have to decide if in your State it'll pass emissions without cats; or you could buy a pair & have a local exhaust shop cut & weld them into Wynn's pipes.

nickleman60
04-04-2006, 12:33 PM
i bought a pair of wynns cat delete downtubes for my 94 sc.they fit like a glove and sound great when you get on it.