Anyone here installed a KB boost-a-pump ?

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
In order to use the nitrous system on my car, I'm going to need more fuel. Rather than adding some noisy external pump, I'm planning to increase the voltage to the 255 lph Hi pressure pump I've already got. The only time I'll turn up the voltage is when racing it with nitrous, so I don't think it will cause any problems with pump longevity.

If anyone here has already installed one on an SC, I would be interested in knowing how difficult it was to install and how well it works.

David

KB Boost A pump

David I know this isn't exactly the answer you are looking for but I thought I would throw it out there anyway. My nephew installed one on his 03 Cobra and although I don't know exactly which pump he is using it is a stock in tank style and the car makes 602 RWHP so I would say it works well and (trust me) it can't be too difficult of an install if he was able to do it.

Charles

Where do you plan on mounting the fittings? Are there any good write ups for a nitrous kit on an SC?

i finished installing a zex wet kit 55hp-75hp and a remote bottle opener a couple of weeks ago.after asking many questions on this site about nozzle location i ended up plumbing it into the return plenum after the air temp sensor.man when you hit the bottle it takes off like a raped ape.i started with the 55hp jets to make sure everything was good to go. now i've got the 75hp jets in it. i'm glad i put it on there...lol

Not Boost-a-Pump related, But..............

Dave, When I put my 255 lph pump in, I was concerned about the intank fittings leaking (no hose clamps). The hose connections just push on, & don't seem to tight. If they leak, you're not getting full pressure to the engine. What do you think about this?

68COUGAR

David, Everything I have read has stated fairly clearly that the best way to deal with more fuel for N2O is a completely seperate fuel system. Thus the engine has it's supply and return, and the nitros system has it's supply and return.

I already have a NOS wet nitrous system installed. I've been using it with varying succes over the past two or three years. Since installing the 1.7 AR kit and 60# injectors the car is making enough extra power that I'm concerned about not having enough additional fuel pump capacity for those rare occasions when I want to use the nitrous.

I'm only needing enough extra fuel for about 50-75 HP, (to safely run a 100 HP shot) so simply increasing pump voltage when using the nitrous (once or twice a year) seems like the logical solution to the problem. I have no interest in adding a seperate fuel system just to use the nitrous. I'm not using enough of it to justify that, and I don't want a fuel cell in my trunk.

I don't know anything about the Focus fuel pumps and I'd rather not mess with changing the pump if I don't have to.

David

PS: Mark, I pressure tested my fuel system to 70 psi prior to installing the AR and larger injectors and it works fine, so I don't think mine is leaking at the pump connections.

Last edited:
David I installed the kenne bell boost a pump on my car about 2 weeks ago the external t-rex that I had on it was getting annoying and tempermental so since I had a boost a pump off a friends car I asked if I could try it he said sure, it was really easy too install and seems to be working great. I don't think I really needed it but its there for the coglins law reasons "anything that can go wrong will" Very simple too install and straight forward few wires and the box mounting and your done!

boostedbird said:
David I installed the kenne bell boost a pump on my car about 2 weeks ago the external t-rex that I had on it was getting annoying and tempermental so since I had a boost a pump off a friends car I asked if I could try it he said sure, it was really easy too install and seems to be working great. I don't think I really needed it but its there for the coglins law reasons "anything that can go wrong will" Very simple too install and straight forward few wires and the box mounting and your done!

Chris,

Where did you locate the box and where did you tap into the fuel pump wiring ?

David

My box is located in the glove box routing inthrough the firewall and the wires going to the fuel tank go under the carpet under the back seat and I had drilled a small hole above the fuel tank for the wires to go through and I went all the way back too the acual fuel tank because I wanted the best connection I could get. I located the fuel lean/rich knob in the center console right by the shifter.

Are you still running stock fuel lines? Do you have a good feel for where the pulse widths on the current injectors were and thus extra fuel available? (I.E. at Max power they were still only 60% duty cycle) Or are you running 80% duty cycle on the injectors and still want to push more fuel through them?

What fuel pressure are you running when you hit the nitros button? Is your regulator able to keep it's index with the higher boost numbers your A/R is putting out?

Have you done any of the math yet to find out what the theoretical support for your fuel system is?
http://www.injector.com/injectorselection.php

Last edited:
The car holds a steady AFR at all rpm's off the bottle so we know that there is sufficient fuel injector and fuel pressure for that. Since David uses a wet kit, there is no additional load put on the injectors when the nitrous is used. Injectors are not the problem.

If we had been able to view the FP gauge during the pulls we could have determined if there was loss of fuel pressure, but things were happening real fast and the nitrous system was having issues anyway such that we didn't pursue it.

However, based on other results from other applications I have no doubt that the pump is running out. Due to variations in the system I don't feel that calculating out theoretic capacity is going to be all that accurate in this case. For starters, we don't even know what the actual pump voltage is. If voltage is 12v then pump output is only 190lph and I have my doubts that pump voltage is even that high.

I think the boost-a-pump is a great idea regardless.

What I was trying to figure out is how much fuel is being used by the injectors as that then will tell you how much is left in reserve for something else.

I.e. if you have a 255lph pump and you're using 249lph to produce your power then you'll know how much, if any reserve you have.

The pulse width on the injector can help determine flow, or the duty cycle for it can also be used to determine flow at a specific RPM.

With dave's trick for getting the pump running, he could also directly measure the exact lph that the pump is putting out at various voltages that he can apply.

With that said... I'd do the boost-a-pump as well. It appears to be a slick design as it has a regulation circuit integrated into it. I bet that gets a tad hot when in use, but since it's set for WOT use only, I wouldn't expect it has to run all that long.

Mike8675309 said:
What I was trying to figure out is how much fuel is being used by the injectors as that then will tell you how much is left in reserve for something else.

I.e. if you have a 255lph pump and you're using 249lph to produce your power then you'll know how much, if any reserve you have.

The pulse width on the injector can help determine flow, or the duty cycle for it can also be used to determine flow at a specific RPM.

Without being able to directly measure pw, it is difficult to nail down those specifics. Anyway, we really don't even know how much power the motor is producing because we are only guessing at parasitic losses. SWAG says that the motor is producing in the neighborhood of 600hp on pump gas. :eek:

Back