problems during 5 speed rebuild

tripntx

Received my package from Southern Gear. Kit is excellent, included all brass fiber lined blocker rings and all bearings.

Now, the bad part. Disassemlbed my tranny today. I need the following parts for my 90 SC, item number and nomenclature out of Helms shop manual.

42 sleeve - 3rd/4th synchro

60 gear - reverse drive

66 sleeve - 5th/rev synchro

54 cover - front bearing

25 cover - center bearing

Can anyone point me in the right direction to buy the two sleeves and one gear. I do not believe they are available from Ford anymore. Mine are worn and must be replaced.

Thanks for mentioning them. I did try to call them today but they had already closed. I'll try them again tomorrow morning.

Any other places to check?

If you get the exact names of the parts you need, a local trans shop might be able to help you out as a lot of the parts were shared with the F150 m5r2.

I've called both Liberty and Southern Gear.

Liberty: said they'd call back later today, would have to look around for good servicable used gears.

SG: Said they'd call back later today and had me count the teeth on the rev drive gear.

Thanks to everyone to has replied.

Both Southern gear and Liberty found the parts I was needing. Having Liberty overnight them to me.

Do not keep driving your car once the blocker rings are gone. It's not fun having to buy more parts. My reverse drive gear and reverse/5th sleeve points where completely worn down. It's amazing it would even make it into reverse. 3/4th wasn't real bad, but not pointy. No problems with 1st/2nd.

Later,
Ken

Can you or someone elaborate on what symptoms you experience with the manual tranny when it is need of a rebuild? I've had some minor difficulty with getting into 1st or 2nd gear in the past, but I attributed that to the tranny fluid being too low and it was close to normal shifting again once the tranny was topped off with fresh fluid. I do have a very slow leak, which I suppose should be expected with over 100k on the tranny.

Lets see, grinding going into any gear is a sign of bad blockers and possable syncros but other things can cause problems like a improperly bleed master or slave cylinder, bad throw out bearing, low or worn out fluid or a flywheel that has been cut one to many times. When your clutch starts to grab you should be at center travel on the clutch peddle. Of all the trans fluid I have used I love GM`s syncromesh manuel trans fluid.

Mine was grinding going into reverse and either 3rd or 4th. Can't remember if it was 3rd or 4th because it's been a year and a half since my motor went out.

Back