Crank pulley bolts

Hock

I have a BHJ balancer and for some reason the pulley bolts won't go all the way in. Anyone else have/had this problem? I ran a tap through it and it only went in around an inch before it got tight and I got uneasy about going any futher with it.

Hock said:
I have a BHJ balancer and for some reason the pulley bolts won't go all the way in. Anyone else have/had this problem? I ran a tap through it and it only went in around an inch before it got tight and I got uneasy about going any futher with it.

The crank pulley bolt pattern has one hole slightly offset from the others to insure correct positioning of the pulley. The holes are close enough that you can start all of the bolts, but won't be able to tighten them without binding.

Remove all the bolts and keep clocking the pulley one bolt hole at a time until you get to the position where all 4 holes line up correctly.

David

PS: I ran into the same problem when installing underdrives....everyone just assumes you know about the goofy bolt pattern, but most people don't.

I know about the bolt pattern issue the problem that I am having is that the bolts seem like they are bottoming out before the pulley is tight.

Never heard about anyone having that problem. I would try running a tap into each hole to make sure the threads were correct, might not be tapped deep enough.

David

I tried that lastnight and got to a point where the tap stopped and I got a little uneasy, not wanting the tap to break off in the balancer. But, I could give it another try.

BTW, what is the length of the bolts that go into the balancer?

Looking at my never-installed BHJ balancer, the threads are approx. 11/16" deep. Beyond that there's approx. 3/16" cut out of the center part of the balancer which isn't threaded. Hope this helps.

good eye !!

i had the same problem only i had one bolt that went all the way, so it stayed together for a few days until the wobble of the pulley sheared the bolts off and i was stranded !! i had to redrill the holes and retap them bigger cause the stubs where jammed in the holes . the bolts were to long for the balancer. length of engagment only needs to be 1.5 times the bolt diameter. if you have trouble with tapping due to the threads are up against the hub then get some shorter bolts. make damn sure the pulley doesn't wobble!! hope this helps.

Would washers be a bad idea for this?

The bolts go in most of the way just not enought to get the pulley tightened down.

Well, I got it fixed tonight.

Used a $25 tap and die set to fix the $340 balancer, talk about nerve racking. But, its good now and I will hopefully have her runnin with in the next 2 weeks, before I leave for San Diego.

Back