Combustion Juice (Gasoline)

Digitalchaos

Gasoline

This from another forum; Perhaps it will prove to be useful here:

<quote>
History Channel ran a 1 hour Modern Marvels on Gasoline earlier this week. It revealed that 95% of all refined gasoline travels through the same pipeline to distribution points and then divided into tanks for different oil companies. The oil companies then add their own additives (if they choose).
The different octanes of gas are shipped down the same pipes, just during different hours. The gas that is in the pipes during the transition is sold to "places that can use any grade of gas such as industrial machinery" at a cut price. I'm guessing that some of this winds up at the 99 cent gas stations also.
5% of the gas sold is done direct, meaning the company that refines it also sells it. They wouldn't say what companies those are though.
Very interesting.
</quote>

Last edited:
Very interesting indeed.

I do know that gasoline DOES have to meet certian requirements, but it turns out that those requirements are state mandated and aren't federal. I also talking with some friends and it turns out NY has very little laws regulating the refinement of gasoline sold in the state. Which means that we get all the crappy gas and are charged more than other states....

I don't know what the hype about fuel cells is. It would seem that filling up with liquid hydrogen at gas stations would seem more hazardous that it would to say fill up on methanol. And methanol is a replentishable fuel supply and if you are smart and have some very basic equipment, you could make your own!

Drag racers use it, why not for street?

Back