253k miles... due for shocks

1QuikV6

I have finally worn my shocks out to the point that I have to keep it in firm ride to keep it from pitching like a sailboat in a hurricane and I was just looking to poll everyone and see which is best to go with. Do I have to buy the entire strut or can I just buy the shocks themselves?

1QuikV6 said:
I have finally worn my shocks out to the point that I have to keep it in firm ride to keep it from pitching like a sailboat in a hurricane and I was just looking to poll everyone and see which is best to go with. Do I have to buy the entire strut or can I just buy the shocks themselves?

We don't have struts. We have shocks and springs. You can do them separate if need be but if those are the original springs too, you may want to replace. Especially lowering a bit.

I went with Tokico Illumina II's for $385 off Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKI...053838595QQcategoryZ33590QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And Vogtland 1" Progressive springs, as I am liking the decent ride with tight handling, instead of having a very firm highway ride with linears.

Vogtland Sport Springs (953058B)
Select Kit: 953058B - Thunderbird (+$6.00)

I got them at Puremotorsports (www.purems.com) for $171.00.

They were the only 1" springs I could find. Though I have heard the Thunderbird LX Sport springs are 1" as well?

I may just sandblast them, cut them so I get a nice 2 inch drop, then powdercoat them red. I want a low ride since Im on 15" LX wheels for now until I can get my SC wheels chromed. I could really care less about auto ride too. Is it tough to delete it and go with conventional sport shocks?

Im also noticing that the front end is out of camber (the bottom of the tire leans out) on both sides and its cupping my tire in a weird way. Its leaving a small lip on each individual tread row.

1QuikV6 said:
I may just sandblast them, cut them so I get a nice 2 inch drop, then powdercoat them red. I want a low ride since Im on 15" LX wheels for now until I can get my SC wheels chromed. I could really care less about auto ride too. Is it tough to delete it and go with conventional sport shocks?

Im also noticing that the front end is out of camber (the bottom of the tire leans out) on both sides and its cupping my tire in a weird way. Its leaving a small lip on each individual tread row.

It's not tough to delete, but there are some modifications to front shocks if you go with something like Koni. I don't know what's involved, hopefully someone else can add info.

In response to your other post, the ARC isn't a big deal, I just wanted to keep the car close to stock form. It's the progressive springs that are nice. Even with FIRM setting, I get a good ride down the road and tight handling. It's not floaty, but not bone-jarring, but you can definitely tell there is a tightness beneath the surface too.

i am replacing my shocks with KYB-GR2's i did the rears and it handles nice... i am doing the fronts before i roll my car out of the backyard... Cant wait... I also did the whole suspension rebuild with new lower and upper control arms... almost everything is brand new... Cant wait to try the KYB GR-2's out on a nice bend...

I have new upper and lower control arms as well as urethane bushings throughout. It makes for a stiffer ride. Next is tie rod ends.. Im beginning to notice a little play in the steering. I just want it MUCH lower and get it to handle somewhat decently but at 253,000 miles you can only get so much... front shocks are first on my list then engine rebuild and a trans rebuild while its out of the car. But Ive just got to get this play out of this front end.

Back