Weird Charging problem!

SCaddict

Last night I was driving the SC and it just died. It had no power. The car would not start as the battery was dead. Since it is a fairly new batt I thought it was the alternator. It was late so I left it. I put a voltmeter on it today and it showed 12 volts. The car started perfect this morning.:confused: The voltmeter show about 13.8 volts at idle (underdrives) and when I rev it, it sees about 14.1 - 14.2 volts. Should it see more than that? Is the alt gone bad?

Marty, ground strap goes from the battery to the block on the drivers side engine mount and then from the pass side engine mount to the frame on the pass side of the car.

I've upgraded all the grounds to 2AWG with soldered ends. Also, the one that goes from the batt to the rad support is upgraded to an 8AWG while I was at it. If you want, we can look at yours and see if we can't do the same.

Wow....same EXACT thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. My alternator turned out being bad but CHECK The BATTERY TERMINAL CONNECTIONS AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE SUPER CLEAN AND SUPER TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

No joke....its a stupid mistake that can cost you hundreds in unnecesary replacements.

Also, if you want Marty...we can change out the alternator lead and positive to relay cables. Say the word and we'll get it done.

It's funny...I have to replace my transmission due to a bad blocker. I was up at the garage tonite looking at the work ahead of me...and I'm gonna be there for a while...

Ground straps....maybe an hour or two taking our time.
Cam...umm, too many hours to count and probably a few busted knuckles.

Back