cam sensor????????

lilLemke

alright i just replaced my cam sensor. car seems to run alittle better but i still dont have a tach. do you guys have anyother ideas? I in need of help. Is there wires that i can check with my MM. Any tips or ideas would help.
thanx again for your help ,
chris

Last edited:
ok like the tach runs off the dis but the cam sensor can effect it there is a a chance the hrness came loose behind the dash.

id check connections at dash then run a code search maybe something is bad you said new sensor but how are the wires to the sensor ?

a dirty connmection can do this try some dilectric at connection.

pardon my spelling on di dy die electric.

I lost my wireing diagram or id post it here anyone have a picture of schematic??

hey question here does car start right up first try or do you have to crank it a few times ?

my buddy says his didn't work and he replaced the cam sensor. still didn't work , he checked everything guess what the new cam sensor was bad.

the car starts right up but at idle and and lights it wants to die. then when you give it gas it starts to spudder. The tach. doesnt work.

Might be as simple as replacing the heat sink on the back of the dis. If it messes up when it gets warm, it dries out under there after time.

ok the tach only stops working when the car gets to full operating temp. and the engine doesnt start to stumble till then. i dont see any heat sheild behind the DIS module. does anyone have a pic of this.

lilLemke said:
ok the tach only stops working when the car gets to full operating temp. and the engine doesnt start to stumble till then. i dont see any heat sheild behind the DIS module. does anyone have a pic of this.

Go to a computer store or Radio Shack and ask for some heat sink compound, remove the 4 - 5.5mm bolts that hold the dis on the mount, clean the old compound off the back, put a lot of new stuff on, reinstall and give it a try.

thanks alot shotbirdsc!!! The car runs really good now. I put that heat sink stuff on and it doesnt act up at all. The tach. works and it doesnt stall anymore when it gets hot.

I am trying to fix my 1989 T-bird SC and the problems has been rough drive when the engine gets warm, tachometer sometimes drops to zero and it does not start easily. The cooling fan did not work but I fixed this by replacing the EEC-IV (after replacing the IRCM). I guess a lot of things were affected by not getting the proper cooling, so the main problem was still there.

Then I found this site last week and finally found some answers !! Living in Sweden makes it a bit more difficult to shop for new parts and this tip with heat sink compound, was an excellent type of fix for me and since I build my own computers, I even had some at home. I replaced it on Saturday May 5, did a test drive right away and one on Sunday, and without any stumble at all :). I am carefully optimistic since the problem has been VERY inconsistent !

The tachometer used to drop down to zero, but now it doesn't work at all and the car still doesn't start easily. Does anyone know if the DIS is partially working or perhaps the cam sensor needs to be replaced ?

I am not an expert in fixing cars (but I am stubborn) and English is not my native tongue, so if something is unclear, don't hesitate to ask me for more/better input. The car is in wonderful condition, except for this and I would love to have the last things fixed.

:) Ola

Disconnect the cam sensor and try to start the car. Any difference in how hard it is to start? My guess is no. That means it's the cam sensor.

Failure mode for the cam sensor has the DIS guessing how to start. So it tries each coil in the coil pack once each time you turn the key on, then off. Thus it will eventually be right and the motor will start and run.

I have same problem and switched out the DIS and CPS and it starts fine, but the tach stays not at 0 but inbetween 0 and the first # and when i drive it goes to like 3K and then buries itself redline just driving normally.....HMM im getting stumped, maybe take some sandpaper and rough up the DIS bottom and the mount maybe? im lost any ideas....im trying to get the car in tip top cherry condition for prom on friday:( , and my automatic belt doesnt move on the driver side either.....:( any hints PLEASE!!!

EDIT: and to add my fuel gauge is ALWAYS pegged past FULL previous owner(origional) said it had been like that for as long as he can remmeber, said dealer tryed to fix it but never did...any fixes for that also thank you so very much!!!

Last edited:
If it's moving around but the car is not showing any issues with no MIL light, then I'd say it's a problem with the gauges. A bad ground or something.

Anyone got pics of the "stuff" lol thats supposed to be on back of the DIS? My cam sensor cam in today but i didnt gt a chance to install it. At cold idle my car stumbles and wants to shut off..and usualyl does unless i give it throttle for about 30-45 seconds sometimes longer..or ill just get in and go after that time and hold it at a certain rpm for a bit. Then after that the car idles totally fine with barely a rpm jump.

Every now and then it will hard to start while the engine is warm..say i shut it off and run in somewhere...come back out 5 misn later and restart it...other times it starts fine. My tach drops to zero after about 30 mins of driving..then acts erraticly...then acts fine...i dont know i thought this was a problem witht he cluster and picked another one up but havent put it in yet.I get no check engine light either. So if you guys think its the stuff on abck of the DIS could someone post a pic of it if possible.

Back