ac/heater/vent motor randomly starts and stops....

skydivr7673

ok, car is a 1995 5 speed. When I go to turn on the vent or defroster, in any position, nothing comes out. It will randomly turn on when I am driving sometimes, but then it shuts off randomly too, and I cannot get it to work when I turn the knob. Has anyone else seen this problem? Not really that big of a deal but I am taking a vacation to Texas in a couple of weeks with this car and I want the a/c to work if I need it. Any help is appreciated.

First of all do not run the a/c without the fan running. It may cause other problems. Sounds like it could be the blower motor resistor. See if there is power coming out of it. If not then it would likely be the motor.

There is a procedure you can use where you push a couple of the buttons on your climate control at the same time and it will show a number on the display that correlates to a trouble-shooting chart that gives an indication where the problem might be. Just based on what you said, sounds like an electronic problem with the climate control module or possibly with an actuator. Try a search for climate control problems and see what you can find.
Also, may I ask what part of TX you going to on vacation?

nick62087 said:
Is it the auto climate-control where you set the temp that you want?

yes, it is.

There is a procedure you can use where you push a couple of the buttons on your climate control at the same time and it will show a number on the display that correlates to a trouble-shooting chart that gives an indication where the problem might be. Just based on what you said, sounds like an electronic problem with the climate control module or possibly with an actuator. Try a search for climate control problems and see what you can find.
Also, may I ask what part of TX you going to on vacation?

We are going to Corpus Christi for the week. Leaving on Easter Sunday and coming back the following weekend. Thanks for the tip, I will search for it.

Any more info guys, please throw it my way.

Ok, found the diagnostic test--this is what I found:

step 1 - Turn ignition switch to the on position...
step 2 - Depress FLOOR button on control assembly...
step 3 - Slide blower switch to HI...
step 4 - Push both COOL and WARM buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds until "--" appears in the control assembly window.

Question--what if I do not have a button to select "floor"? I have a 95, with the automatic climate control. I have a large knob to select what vents the air comes out of, another large knob to select low thru high, or auto, and three buttons in the middle--cold, hot, and o/t. I tried to do the self test by turning the key to on, selecting "floor", selecting "high" and then pushing both buttons, and it did not do anything. All that appeared on the screen is the temp setting that gets altered when I push the cool/warm buttons at the same time. Is there a different climate control system that this self test is written for or am I just stupid? Someone please clue me in....thanks!

go to the juck yard buy a new climate control dealie for about 100$
i just had the exact same problem

I was thinking about the same thing, but there are other things that this could be and I dont want to throw money at the problem unless I know that this is what is wrong. The diagnostic test has a code that should come up if the control unit is bad, but I am just trying to make sure that I can get the self test to work right before I shell out $$$.

I have had the same problem and it turned out to be the smallest thing in the world....... there is a cord that goes to the fan behind the glove box and it was loose when i would drive over a bump it would work but if it was on and i hit a bump it wouldn't work for me this is prolly the problem if you leave it on defrost or something a little bit of air comes but it doesn't blow anything to mention.... well I rattled long enough if you need more help message me i'll check the posts

later
hope this works

ok, it would seem that the diagnostic test is for the earlier climate control. Does anyone know of a similar test for the 94-97 climate control system? Someone must know if there is a test for the newer automatic climate control....I cannot find anything in any of the books I have and a search in here pulls up the same one that appears to be for the older cars.

ttt for anyone who would know.

I am beginning to suspect that my climate control module itself is bad and that is why I cannot get it to do the self test.

Back