PDA

View Full Version : engine smoking

jdawgs90tbirdsc
04-05-2006, 11:01 PM
I own a 90 model sc and i have had to park it recently due to its heavy smikong. the smoke is contained to the engine bay but im not really sure where it is coming from. none of the smoke is coming out of the exhaust. the smoke is black not white. please help cause i love this car and i want to get it up and running again..the motor has about 187,000 on it but it has been well taken care of...if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

bloodybobber
04-05-2006, 11:43 PM
I'm thinking valve cover gaskets as mine just started it again. I had the same problem 8 months ago and solved it by tightening loose VC bolts. It will probably need gaskets this time. Catch you later, Bob.

jdawgs90tbirdsc
04-12-2006, 12:22 AM
come on guys and gals any other suggestions or is this the only idea known of...if not help a brotha out

thirdbird
04-12-2006, 03:06 AM
come on guys and gals any other suggestions or is this the only idea known of...if not help a brotha out

When my HG's blew, the exhaust wasnt really smoking, but the engine bay was BIG TIME. There was coolant leaking from the back of the passenger side Head down onto the cat. Oil too......... I got another set of heads all decked and valved and ready to go in case it cracked or something.
I was afraid to drive it the rest of the way to work, but I shut the motor at red lights, and made it there ok. Towed it home after my shift. Get AAA PLUS with this car, my friend! :)
Later, when I flushed the crankcase with new oil and drained the coolant and ran it for a cpl minutes, It smoked out the tails like New Jersey stacks!

At your miles, you are sure to have a HG failure there.....
Sorry!

paul

jdawgs90tbirdsc
04-12-2006, 07:35 PM
ok so where can i get some good quality headgaskets from and how much do they run

Scott Long
04-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Depends if you are gonna do it yourself or not. I'd check the VC gaskets and bolt tightness first.

If its black smoke its oil.

Head gaskets are $15.00 each or the whole head set is $120 and you need to buy bolts.

A shop will charge between $1200-1700 for a head gasket job. I think one guy paid $2300 for a hg replacement.

I did mine for about $400

thirdbird
04-12-2006, 08:24 PM
ok so where can i get some good quality headgaskets from and how much do they run

IF you blew a HG,
Use the FELPRO upper engine gasket set $115 shipped i think i paid. find em at Rockauto.com
bolts are $40-$140 depending what you will do with the car...
Hows ur power steering pump?
Water pump new?
u gotta 5-speed? hows the clutch?
Can u afford to do the whole motor?
these are things i am addressing with my car righ now before i begin the work, i dont wanna do it twice, you know?:)

paul