Ported inlet plenum!

Sampo

I would need pics how much port '94-'95 style inlet plenum to match 70mm TB. And how to do it? Any help appreciated...

Thanks!:cool:

68COUGAR said:
English!!!!!! We speak English on this forum.

68COUGAR
That was pretty clear to me. Basically he wants to see what a ported plenum looks like and instructions on how to do it.

68COUGAR said:
English!!!!!! We speak English on this forum.

68COUGAR

Sorry but my English isn't very good...but try to talk some Finnish!;)

Ei oo meinaan ihan kauheen helppo kieli opetella tai saatika sitten puhua!:D

Some people are pretty cold here in SCCoA...

Sampo said:

OOOOHHHHHHHH....you want pictures. Lets see....Here is a pic of the back of a 70mm t-body. As you can see, there is plenty of room that the plate will not hit. But, since you asked, here is a ported inlet from Wynn Carter too.

Chris

Attachments

• SSCN0200.JPG
    SSCN0200.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 164
  • SSCN0201.JPG
    SSCN0201.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 215
  • SSCN0202.JPG
    SSCN0202.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 260
Well...for some reason the t-body pic did not take. That was a pic of two metal BURRS that are used for cutting/shaping metal. You will need to keep them cool with wd-40 or oil of some sort. Also, they will load up with aluminum so be prepared and use eye protection.

The burrs will leave a crap finsih. Here is the twenty dollar tool from walmart and a porting kit from Summit (#1060) that should get you a good start.

Chris

Attachments

• SSCN0203.JPG
    SSCN0203.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 159
  • SSCN0204.JPG
    SSCN0204.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 112
  • SSCN0205.JPG
    SSCN0205.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 118
  • SSCN0206.JPG
    SSCN0206.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 99
Hah, yes... I knew I can trust you!;)

And thanks for pics/tips!:)

How deep should I port that plenum. Is it ok just shape the "head of the plenum" so it will match the TB or should I shape it deeper...?

Last edited:
Sampo said:

Yeah Sampo, unfortunately there are a few here that insist on being that way. MOST of us do realise that you are from Finland and English is your SECOND language. We understood what you were asking for and hopefully the pics provided by Chris help you out.

Good luck with the porting job.;)

just try to transition it smoothly into the plenum. The material is porus so you don't want to get too agressive with it. Go slow and take it easy.

I have a question about this. The inlet plenum, can it be taken off easily to do this? Four bolts, and can they be accessed as to just take off the TB and the plenum without disturbing the SC or anything else? And what about the gasket to the SC? Thanks all, as I bought a 70 TB and didnt notice the plenum should be matched.

Taking off the SC is not that tough. I think Dan Sly and I swapped it out in under 20 min with hand tools at the OKC meet. He has a trick inlet and quick connects at the top, but it should not be that tough. The exception being the EGR vavle. Kind of trickey but doable. I would recomend taking off the whole inlet/sc combo for ease.

The radius on that is only about an inch into the plenum. Start with a burr and finish with the sanding rolls you can get from the handy dandy kit from Summit. Local parts stores have them too and the rolls are a tad larger making it easier to smooth out. Any other questions, do not HESITATE to ask.

Chris

There is one more thing, now that I think about it...If you are going to take off the pipes (since you got the new SC), take off the return plenum and cut the ridge out of it. You will see it as soon as you take the tube off. It is like a casting mark and causes a "step" on the inlet side of the return plenum. It is the one that goes to the lower intake and has the bypass on it.

You can thank me later.

Chris

Call me lazy, but I just removed the TB stuffed some rags in the plenum and ported it on the car. It only took about 15 minutes to port it and if you cover the rest of the motor with a blanket there won't be much chips to vacuum.

Just remember to remove the rags.

David

seawalkersee said:
There is one more thing, now that I think about it...If you are going to take off the pipes (since you got the new SC), take off the return plenum and cut the ridge out of it. You will see it as soon as you take the tube off. It is like a casting mark and causes a "step" on the inlet side of the return plenum. It is the one that goes to the lower intake and has the bypass on it.

You can thank me later.

Chris

No, I say thanks...now! :p :)

I didn't think about that at all! I removed my i/c pipes already and I have to put them back because I have to drive the car to the shop where they'll make a new exhaust to my SC.

But when I get it back I'll remove the i/c pipes again and begin to port inlet/return plenum. I'm happy I got Wynn's gaskets so reinstalling is easier!:cool:

I'm sure I have to ask many questions before my car is ready!:D

Today I got a lot of new parts again from there (US!). I hope my car is ready before we have Thunderbird meeting in August. After that I go to dyno and get a chip.

Do you have something else on mind what should I do when I'll remove the sc and all that stuff. I will install the new #42 injectors but what else?! And I already changed the spark plugs...

I'm not sure how easy this would be to do. Just thinking about it would seem hard, but is there a way to port the IC tubes? I know when people install a FMIC, they use larger tubing, but can ours be ported or is there a way to use larger tubes with the stock IC? Would there be any benefit from either one? :confused:

RadiumSC said:
I'm not sure how easy this would be to do. Just thinking about it would seem hard, but is there a way to port the IC tubes? I know when people install a FMIC, they use larger tubing, but can ours be ported or is there a way to use larger tubes with the stock IC? Would there be any benefit from either one? :confused:

There isn't much porting that can be done to the IC tubes, but some have had their IC tubes extrude honed. I don' think there is much to gain from this...at least not considering the cost.

As for different tubes, sure it can be done. If the stock tubes are replaced with mandrel bent tubing, there should be some gains to be had. Especially be replacing the section of lower IC tube that necks down near the exhaust manifolds.

Back