blown head gasket??

liqdsilver

93 sc. got the head gasket done by ford this march. got full exaust no cats, oversized top, sc pulley, tb and mass air, 3.73 gears, auto with shift kit. now, question is, it took 10 years with visits on the occasion to the track, daily driven to blow the head gasket, now after just 5 months, i'm getting that smell again coming through the vents, and my reserve is lower. but the car has not overheated. that's how it started last time, untill eventually, it did overheat..well, i shut down, but the temp was rising. hasn't done that yet this time, but i'm getting worried that it will. Is it possible that the gasket went again, or am i just paranoid?? by the way, i changed both sides. thanks

Could be heater core, feel the carpet on the passenger side, if its damp your heater core is gone. This usually causes the smell of coolant in the cockpit

Last edited:
thanks..i'll check that out first thing in the morning. that's exactly the smell i get. but, would it cause my coolant reserve to drop. does that mean if the heater core is bad, it will slowly burn coolant, hence the smell?

yes a leaky heater core will make the coolant level low in the resivoir. It wont be burning, but you will smell the coolant because it is now leaking in the car.

I know exactly which smell you are talking about. It isn't the same if it isn't burning. Make sure you check all of your coolant lines and check your oil for any discolorations (especially the milky color from coolant). Also check your t-stat housing if it was changed recently. It took me forever to get mine to stop after I changed the gasket when I did the HG's

how do you check to see if the heater core is good or not? the carpet is dry, the car does not overheat, the coolant drops, and the car smells inside, especially when i go hard on the gas pedal

i got the same smell i just changed my valve cover gaskets and i let the coolant hose from the throttle body leak on my manefold so it is slowly burning off check your coolant lines for leaks an easy way is get the car warm and check for smoke under the hood

Back