Bad Problem

90superchknSC

hey everyone, here is my issue, i have a 1990 thunderbird sc. i just installed a brand new short block in. when i first had it running it ran a little rough but thats because of an aftermarket cam and it ran just fine. later on i took it to get painted, when it came back it didnt run very well anymore. so i ran an injector ballance test, compression, noid light test, and spark test and everything worked just fine and dandy, so now im kinda thinkin.....~~~ if anyone has a clue what i might find wrong please let me know thanks!

Can you expand on "didn't run very well anymore"? When does it not run very well? I'm assuming that you've scanned for KOER KOEO codes? Any other strange symptoms in how the car works (tach not working, upshift light on while cranking, etc)?

guess i could have specified... ok when i had the car running, it had a rough idle but once it was off idle it ran wild. once back from paint now it acts like it has a misfire of somekind, it wownt even try to hold an idle. just spits and sputters all the way throught the power band..... and its an automatic, tach works, and absofrigginloutly no codes....

How are your plugs and wires? Make sure all of the plug wires are securely attached at both ends. I believe AutoZone can test our DIS (ignition) modules, but don't quote me on that. Does your crankshaft dampener and/or crank dampener pulley wobble when the engine is running? How much vacuum are you pulling at idle in Park and Drive?

nope everything is on tight i just plugged most vacuum ports just to get it running, only thing else i could think of is the eec but i dont know.......

the guy that painted it was my brother he drove it there painted and while it was down there i threw on a front crank seal cause it was leakin, so it ran just fine on the way home and after sitting for a few days it got worse, and as of today it doesnt run......cranks but wownt start..

UPDATE!::: finally got the car back to the half assed state of running. but its only running on 3 cylinders. 4,5 and 6 so...... my thoughts are possibly low spark kv? possibly because if the short plug wires are getting spark it might just be enough for those, soo anyone think there might be some logic to this thought......

If they replaced the front cover seal, that means the removed the harmonic balancer, and also would have had to remove the crank position sensor.

I'd start by checking the clearance on the crank position sensor, and then check the wiring harness up to the cam sensor.

DIS wire 8 fires coil 1, wire 11 fires coil 2 and wire 9 fires coil 3.

Coil 1 handles cylinders 1 and 5
Coil 2 handles cylinders 3 and 4
Coil 3 handles cylinders 2 and 6

If your cylinder numbers are correct, it's not likely the coil pack. DIS maybe, but not likely.

Here are some diagrams that may help regarding no start conditions on vehicles prior to 1994.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/images/tbird/DISnostart/DIS No Start Diag.htm
http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/images/tbird/DISnostart/DIS No Start.htm

Back