Question about mustang brake kits

quick35th

Guys I need to know if after swaping to 93 and up front spindles, putting on mustang hubs, and bigger wheels will any big brake kit for mustangs bolt onto our cars?

Shane

From what I understand, yes, any Big Brake kit for a 1994-2004 Mustang will bolt on.

My AP Racing kit is just a Mustang kit with the rotors redrilled for the Thunderbird bolt pattern.

Ok, cool. Yeah I am still unsure as to if I want to do the bolt pattern swap or not. I was looking into either the 2000 Cobra R brakes or these 6 piston Wilwoods.
397-M-2300-X.jpg

9501406743d.jpg

Shane

Just an FYI. I bought 99 mustang Dual piston PBR calipers and the hubs for $40 from the u-pull-it yard. I could have had the rotors for another $20 but will go with stock size slotted. Cheap alternative for the front with some slight fab/grinding.

I am building an autocross terror/road racer so I need all the braking power I can get. That Wilwood kit is only $1400 too :D

Shane

Shane, if you're going to spend that sort of coin on brakes, why wouldn't you do the bolt pattern conversion while you're at it? Four or six piston calipers will require wheels with lots of spoke clearance. You're more likely to find suitable candidates in 5 on 4.5" than you would in 5 on 4.25".

Many of the bigger Japanese cars with 5 stud wheels use 4.5" as well, not just Mustangs. There are some nice wheels available which are made to clear the Brembo brakes on the front of the Nissan 350Z "Track" model, and the Infiniti G35 with the same brakes.

Just trying to make the point that you have to consider all the angles, there are almost always repercussions for every mod you do. ;)

cheers
Ed N.

I was hoping that you would chime in here Ed since you seem to be the most knolagable about brake on our cars. Yeah I will most likely do the hub swap since its not to much extra cash and honestly I did not want to have to redrill the rotors for the tbird bolt pattern. Ed I am interested in your bracket that you make so that I can run the stock rear caliper but with a cobra rotor. I think with that and the 6 piston wilwoods would be perfect for what I am doing. Oh, I'll have to get a in-car manual brake bias controler too.

Shane

Ed,

I am assuming that these brake kits would fit? If so this is the best pricing I could find. If Ed gets back saying they will fit I will order a set.

10th Anniversary Cobra Brake Package
• Same calipers as used on the 2003 10th Anniversary Cobras!!
• Fits 1994-04 Mustangs / Cobras
• Kit includes:
- 2 New Brembo Brake Rotors
- 2 New 10th Anniversary Brake Calipers
- 2 Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
$359.00

Black Factory Cobra Brake Package
• Same calipers as used on the 1996 - 2004 Cobras!!
• Kit includes:
- 2 New Black Factory Brake Calipers
$329.00

Special Edition Bullitt Mustang Brake Package
• Same calipers as used on the 2001 Special Edition Mustang Bullitt.
• Kit includes:
- 2 New Special Edition Bullitt Brake Calipers
$359.00

buyfordracing.com

So Ed, will these fit?
And what can we do about our rear brakes? Is it possible to buy another one of these kits and get a bracket to retro fit them or what? :confused:

Thank you Ed!

Ed, would a wheel like this work?
asa_ar1_ci3_l.jpg

I have had my eye on these wheels for the longest time now. I love the styling of them but these specifically are the Thunderbird bolt pattern.

Shane

Thomas,

Yes, the brake packages that you have listed will all bolt on provided that your car has 93+ spindles.

Now, for the back brakes, Ed sells a bracket to use the 11.65 Cobra rotor or you could run the KVR/SCP 12" setup. I personally run the KVR 12" setup and I like it. From what I understand, they even make a 4-piston wilwood setup for the rear, although, it's pricey.

Hope that helps. What a minute, do I even own a SC?

Tom, those three kits you listed are all 13" Cobra style, the only difference is the finish on the PBR calipers. So yes, they will all work on 93-up spindles. The flex hoses included won't though.

The 2000 Cobra R kit with the four piston Brembo calipers is a bolt-on too. That's what Rich Thompson put on the 94 that recently sold to Ira Robinson.

Take a look at Doug Fraleigh's tech writeup, it explains everything for the front and rear.

http://home.comcast.net/~dlfraleigh/Article.html

Using relocation brackets with the stock MN12 calipers, and Cobra rotors, is probably the easiest solution for big brakes on the rear. I'm not just saying that because I happen to sell the brackets. :D

Shane, in 18" those wheels would likely be fine, in 17", they may not be. It depends on how deep the mounting pad is. When you get in to high positive offset wheels, often the mounting pad doesn't stick out much from behind the back face of the spokes. Which in turn leaves you with less clearance for a wider body caliper. That's one reason why the Cobra style PBR two piston calipers are popular, clearance is decent.

I don't have any direct experience with six piston Wilwood calipers to offer a valid opinion. But the Brembo Cobra R calipers as posted by Tom are a great bolt-on kit, and would likely be more than sufficient for you. Heck, I'm pretty happy with the way the basic Cobra 13" / PBR setup has performed on my car for track days with sticky tires.

cheers
Ed N.

Ed,

This bracket of yours, will it only work with 11.65 Cobra's? Or will it work with the 13" too?

The brackets are the same as the ones that Doug shows in his tech writeup. They are made to specifically accommodate the 94 - 04 Cobra rear 11.65" rotors. You don't need 13" rear rotors on an SC, unless of course you have 14" or 15" fronts. ;)

cheers
Ed N.

well i did the cobra hub swap and yes its worth it but be ready to spend atleast a grand on it....

let me break it down for you what i spend on mine...

ALL MY PARTS WERE FOR 99 COBRA

FRONT HUBS - 2 @ 69.99 = 140.00 PLUS TAX
REAR HUBS - 2 @ 74.99 = 150.00 PLUS TAX + SHIPPING
MACH 1 FRONT TWIN PISTON CALIPERS FORD RACING PERFORMANCE PARTS
BRACKETS AND PADS INCLUDED BRAND NEW, NO CORE
, 1 SET @ 159.99 PLUS 20 DOLLARS SHIPPING..
SET OF 4 CROSS DRILLED-SLOTTED ROTORS, 2 - 13" FRONT, 2 - 11.65" REARS 1 SET @ 149.99 FREE SHIPPING
FAST ED REAR BRACKET CALIPER ADAPTER TO USE STOCK REAR OEM CALIPERS. 1 SET @ WHATEVER HE WANTS TO CHARGE YOU.

NOW THE MISC STUFF.
2 front hub bearing retainers, around 10 bucks each.
2 rear hub bearing retainers, around 10 bucks each
2 front hub dust caps, around 4 bucks each.
2 rear wheel bearings @ 60 bucks each total out to 120.00
4 used tires 120.00
4 mustang 17" GT RIMS @ 300 bucks plus 80 dollars shipping.

plus any work machine shop charges to press in and out..

its nearing 1400 bucks.... just dont be surprised if you run out of money... i did.. and i still havent completed....plus i did alot of suspension work while i was working on the front....

Well after talking with Dave Dalke today the 6 piston Wilwoods are out of the question for me, just to much braking power then what I need. I either want the Cobra R's or just the regular cobra kit. Oh and I am going to switch the bolt pattern as well.

Shane

Back