Replacing haed gaskets

Boosted91

hey guys this is for anyone with some input. i have a 91 SC with 153k and am going to replace the head gaskets by the recommendation of my uncle since the plugs fowl by the means of water. is there anything i should be cautious of while doing this? me and my uncle are very mechanically inclined but just wanna be sure i dont over look anything in this process. any info would be much appreciated.,....Thanks

two things

Use new ARP head bolts and, someone correct me if I'm wrong, FelPro Turbo gaskets. There was a thread here somewhere about some copper gaskets due out in April. Anyone heard more about them?

not too hard to do. Did mine alone ( with the service manual and tips from SCCoA) and I had never torn apart a motor before in my life. One tip That I found very helpful was that you do not have to remove the fuel rail completely, it will hang over the side of the car. Do a search for head gasket replacement and you'll find a ton of information

Felpro Head Gasket Set includes the valve cover gaskets and head gaskets and intake manifold gasket:
HS9642PT

ARP head studs: #233-4303 (chevy 2.8 application)

If you want a better head gasket you'll need to deck the heads and the block for a very smooth RA better than what the factory does. Mayve others can comment on your chances of sucess if you only deck the head.

The better gasket is a Felpro MLS Permatorque gasket for the 1997-2004 4.2l Ford F150. It's a rubber coated 4 layer steel gasket. Right side # 9253PT and Left side # 9250PT.

i use the 4.2 gaskets and do your self a favor and check the rod main bearings when you blow head gaskets you stand a good chance of mashing the bearings remember water does not compress.

i didnt actually blow the headgaskets yet. plugs were fowling a lot. and the last couple times i drove it were not over 30 mph. i am replacing them to be safe and since my uncle who i got the car from said its a good idea...:) and i will use the parts you guys recommended thanks a lot!

Back