very loud fuel pump

gatekeeper

Hello everyone. I've been pouring through all the pages on on SCCoa and have found so many great people here with answers to some of my questions.
I have a '92 lx with a 3.8... I bought it about 6 months ago and parked it. I'm still trying to decide which way to go on this project so it sits... waiting on me. I went out and started it today and noticed a loud humm coming from the rear of the car... I'm guessing it's the fuel pump. Do they really get that loud when they're low on fuel... or is it going bad?
any insight would be helpful.

Out of the 7 MN12's or so that ive had. 4 of them had loud pumps. One of them was loud for about 80K miles and never went out. To some extent its just nature of the beast. But if it makes a grinding noise and isnt a consistant humm, then it might be time to worry.

My 89 XR7 has a pretty noisy humm from the fuel pump as well. I have had it for just over a year and the last owner had it for 2 1/2 years and it was noisy when he got it. Seems to be no problems at all with it. Oh... and it doesn't matter if the tank is full or empty, it still humms pretty loudly. It IS a slight bit more muffled when the tank is FULL, but not much.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. So... I don't know if I will get used to it. What about an aftermarket pump to replace it? Is this the way to go to eliminate the noise?

I don't recall if my original pumps were loud but I want to say they weren't. I have 190's in both my SC's and they are quiet. I can't hear them over my exhaust when the car is running.

The pump in the 90 base I had was noisy the last 3-4 years I drove it. I wasn't noisy the first 4-5 years I had it so I would say a new pump will solve your problem. The pump in that car was starting to drive me nuts, but I bought an SC so I didn't have to replace it.

Back