power steering pump

shawpdx1

ok im getting to the point were im going to have put this new pump in and Im looking for short cuts it looks like a #$%^&* to do any short cuts would be appreciated..........thanks guys

??????????????????? The pump is easy. The hardest part is getting the tool to remove the pully. And YES...you need the tool.

Chris

shawpdx1 said:
can u send me yours.....lol who carrys the tool napa? is it a puller

I bought mine at Harbor Freight on sale for $9.99 for the whole kit. Normally $19.99. If you don't have one near you, their web site has everything.

JD

Yes. You can get them from any parts stores. I think Orilleys has them for rent. BE SURE YOU GET A NEW NYLON WASHER when replacing the line in the back. You can thank me later for that one.

Chris

auto zone rents the tool also. It clamps around the knob on the front of the pulley and then the bolt threads into the snout of the pump to pull the pulley off. The tool is also need to put the pulley back on do not pound it with a hammer.

I think you might as well pull the upper IC tube and SC top, and the intercooler out to get room so you can unbolt the bracket from the engine. The alternator will need to come out but its easy to remove. You might want to unbolt the water pump pulley but its not necessary. If you don remember how it goes on, the spacer goes on the front. My friend put it behind the pulley and he'd chew up serp. belts constantly till we figured out his water pump pulley stuck out farther than the other pulleys.

Last edited:
flush it.

If you're putting in a new pump. Spend some extra time to do a really good job flushing the system. Make sure you turn the wheel completely from side to side (jack it up) a couple times while you are flushing it to get all old and cavitated fluid out of the rack. Also, Ford says to use ATF type F in the pump, not PS fluid.

I put in a new pump and it sounded worse than the one I took out till I flushed the system good.

Cheers
Bob

seawalkersee said:
Yes. You can get them from any parts stores. I think Orilleys has them for rent. BE SURE YOU GET A NEW NYLON WASHER when replacing the line in the back. You can thank me later for that one.

Chris
I had this washer in the box with my pump, but I didn't know where it went..

So where does it go:confused:

sizemoremk said:
I had this washer in the box with my pump, but I didn't know where it went..

So where does it go:confused:
You need white washers for both ends of the high pressure hose.

Yap...just slide/thread it over the screw in portion of the line, and remove the old one. It stops the leakey leakey.

Chris

seawalkersee said:
Yap...just slide/thread it over the screw in portion of the line, and remove the old one. It stops the leakey leakey.

Chris

You do mean the crooked line that goes into the bacl of the pump, correct?

Thanks!

The HP line is the metal one that comes up to the pump, makes a 90-degree bend, and enters the pump. I think it comes in from the side, if I remember right. Also, it should be attached to the EVO sensor/actuator on an SC.

Also, if you buy from Harbor Freight, make sure you buy the PS pulley puller with installer tool. They sell the puller part by itself, but you need the whole kit.

You will definitely want to remove the upper IC tube and IC. The top tube is pretty easy. The bottom one is not. But if you have to remove the PS and alternator bracket, you can remove the upper bracket for the lower IC tube at the same time. It is buried back there and is a pain to remove. I just removed it and tossed it in a box. Between the studs at the plenum and IC and the lower tube support stud, I don't think the lower IC tube is going anywhere.

Before you mess with the alternator, unplug the negative battery cable and tuck it away. It is hooked more or less directly to the back of the alternator, so you could get a bad shock.

Oh, and try not to drop any little nuts behind the bracket during the reinstall. That was frustrating. :)

MartianBob said:
Also, Ford says to use ATF type F in the pump, not PS fluid.

I put in a new pump and it sounded worse than the one I took out till I flushed the system good.

Cheers
Bob

Hey Bob, I just replaced mine, haven't flushed it completely yet.
Which ATF you use? I used p/s fluid, it has been getting louder....

Does everybody else agree with using ATF?
Help!:(
thanks,

paul

txsc said:
I bought mine at Harbor Freight on sale for $9.99 for the whole kit. Normally $19.99. If you don't have one near you, their web site has everything.

JD

Do you have the kit's part number or link? I need this as well.

Thanks for the walkthru, guys. I was about to pull the engine to get to it :)

That's the one I have, and it worked very nicely. I did have a little trouble on the install, but I think that was user error.

Back