PDA

View Full Version : interesting reading

thundrburd
04-08-2006, 03:38 PM
I was reading some post on here and saw that someone had said that the sc's have forged cranks in them, can I get someone to confirm that there is indeed forged cranks, and if so answer if there is anything else that is forged in them ??

Mike8675309
04-08-2006, 04:00 PM
See this article:
http://www.sccoa.com/articles/everwonder.php

SC motors have forged cranks and forged rods (Most production vehicles now use forged connecting rods.) with CAST pistons of a hypereutectic alloy.

Scott Long
04-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Cylinder Block

The cylinder block was redesigned and reinforcement was added to increase durability and strength of the block. The water passage opening locations were also moved.

Both the ATX and MTX camshafts (Automatic transmission equipped cars and Manual transmission equipped cars) were redesigned to allow for newly designed roller tappets. Roller tappets have the advantage of reducing sliding friction and improving fuel economy. Because of the choice made to include the roller tappets it was necessary to include guide plates and retainers to secure them.

The main bearing caps were made one inch taller and the cap bolts were increased in length to allow the caps to be secured properly to the block.

An improved method of manufacturing was used on the crankshaft to add strength to the unit. It is referred to as Dura-cast. Note that if you rebuild your SC Motor…the main journals can only be refinished to 00.25mm (0.010-inch) undersized and the rear main journal can not be refinished since it is already 0.010-inch undersized. The only reason I can figure for the rear main being undersized is lubrication concerns. More clearance…more oil. It has subsequently been reported that the undersized rear main journal was to ensure a 3.8L NA Crank could not be installed at the factory on a SC engine unknowingly. Also that the Duracast crank was replaced with the forged crank most of us have as a running production change made mid year given that the supplier was not able to make enough Duracast pieces meeting specifications to meet production demands at FORD.

The balance shaft used on the standard 3.8 L ( a feature used to reduce engine vibration) was eliminated and replaced by a spacer in place of the balance shaft drive gear.

A knock sensor was added to increase ignition performance. This is a piezoelectric accelerometer sensor which is designed to vibrate at the same frequency as the engine knock (pre-detonation.) The sensor operates in consort with the EEC IV engine control system to retard ignition timing and hopefully eliminate the detonation before real engine damage occurs. If you ever have to replace one make sure you get the correct version since there are sensors made for at least 4 different frequency ranges depending on the application.

The rear main oil seal was modified to improve the sealing characteristics and to provide more durability. Some of you may have experienced rear oil seal failure in other Fords. Before approximately this vintage engine for Ford the seals were mainly two piece and over time the rubber seal would actually wear a groove in the steel crank over time. The only true fix was to replace the crank. Now with this redesigned seal it is a one piece unit which allows the use of a "sealing ring" which can be installed over the groove and allow a new seal to be installed and the leakage to be stopped.

thundrburd
04-08-2006, 04:38 PM
so since they have forged cranks and forged rods in them, could they handle even a small shot of nitrous, or is there something out there that you can install that the stock motor can handle ?? or will the fact that the pistons are not forged cause problems ??

Mike8675309
04-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Spend a little time searching and i'm sure you'll get your answer.

From what I've seen (don't run it) a mild wet kit should be o.k.