Odometer Gear

aviationstation

All,

Wondering if anyone out there knows if the odometer gear out of a late model (94/95) Thunderbird LX will work in a 95 SC speedo. My odometer just quit working & I dont want to drive it without getting it back in action. A local yard has a 120 MPH speedo but I'm hoping that the odo gear is the same...

Thanks!

Matt R

Re: Speedo gear

aviationstation said:
Wondering if anyone out there knows if the odometer gear out of a late model (94/95) Thunderbird LX will work in a 95 SC speedo. My odometer just quit working & I dont want to drive it without getting it back in action. A local yard has a 120 MPH speedo but I'm hoping that the odo gear is the same...Matt R
Our cars have electric speedos. The speedo gear in the trans, is directly related to the ring & pinion ratio, not to a particular year or model of car.

You can pull the speed sensor out of the tranny & check for gear damage.

68COUGAR

I believe the odometer and trip odometer are still gear driven. At least they are on my Crown Vic which also has an electric speedometer. I think there is an article on m12performance.com on how to replace it.

Not hard to do, I've fixed two so far. Buy a new gear, $25-27 depending on whom you get it from. Getting a used Speedo from a salvage yard, you'll likely be doing it again in a few months.
Hint - don't press the trip reset while the car is moving. This will cause unnecessary stress on the little gear and significantly shorten its life.:)

Hint - don't press the trip reset while the car is moving. This will cause unnecessary stress on the little gear and significantly shorten its life.:)

Could have told me that sooner. Guess my LX will always have 127K on it. Should have done it as soon as I got gas. Not driving 5 miles later. Oh well.

Back