blown gaskets

brandons sc

well i found the problem . Awhile back i had asked why my car was bacfireing and blowing the valve covers off. Well I finally tore it apart , both head gaskets were blown and the intake appeared to be leaking as well . Now i'm wondering if there any ignition parts that would make it backfire . I can't see the headgaskets doing it but i'm a stranger to these cars also.
I plane on porting the heads and intake along with putting headers on it . I would like to put a cam in as well . Any suggestions as to what i should use for a cam and any othere mods would be appreicated .
thx , jason

CMRE Stage 1

brandons sc said:
I plane on porting the heads and intake along with putting headers on it . I would like to put a cam in as well . Any suggestions as to what i should use for a cam. jason
The Coy Miller Stage 1 cam is very close to the cam specs that XR7Dave claims are Ideal for an SC. I have that cam, & in my car (headers, 2.5" down pipes, NO Cats, No Resonator, 3.5" center, Dual 2.5" turbo mufflers), it has a Very Pronounced Lope, but the same cam in a car with a stock exhaust wasn't Lopey at all. I have stock heads & the cam Really woke the car up!!!!!!

Why are you going with a 2.25" - 2.5" - 2.25 exhaust? That's close to the OEM restrictive pipe sizes. A 2.25" - 3" - 2.25" would flow MUCH better. Your dual 2.25" pipes have a cross sectional area of 7.95 sq. in. Your single 2.5" pipe has a cross sectional area of 4.91 sq. inches. How well does 8 go into 5? Now step up to a 3" center & your cross sectional area jumps to 7.07 sq. inches. 8 goes into 7 a lot better than it goes into 5!!!!

Also, if your 2.5" center is compression bent, you'll end up with significantly LESS than 2.5" in the bends, which will raise your back pressure even more than 8 into 5.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
So if I put the bigger exhaust on should i still use the headers , I really don't want to. they always rust out and it's not an easy fix. How about if I just port out the stock manifolds. How far back do you down pipes run .

Ported Manifolds vs. Coated Headers

brandons sc said:
So if I put the bigger exhaust on should i still use the headers , I really don't want to. they always rust out and it's not an easy fix. How about if I just port out the stock manifolds. How far back do you down pipes run .
What kind of headers did YOU get? :confused: I have Jet Hot coated SCCoA shorty headers, and they look as good today, as they did 10 YEARS ago when I put them on. Have your headers Jet Hot coated, & use'em!!!!!! Jet Hot also has a weekly drawing, from their customers that week, & somebody gets their coating job for FREE!!!!!! ( http://www.jet-hot.com/pages/freecoatings.php )

Yes, 35 yrs ago headers did tend to rust out (except HOOKER). Black Jack headers were the worst, but that's what you get from a $35 pr. of headers!!!!!

If you don't already have the headers, then it'll be cheaper to have your manifolds ported. Extensively ported manifolds will flow almost as good as a header, and for a LOT cheaper.

68COUGAR

I have'nt bought the hearders yet , i was'nt sure which ones to buy . I'm taking the heads to a rebuild shop to have them checked out. i'll see what they can get for headers when i'm there , and the cam as well.
The reason i don't like the header, is i live about a mile from the canadian salt mine . lol
things tend to rust if your not paying attention.lol

I was going to use the 1997 to 2004 ford 4 layer steel head gasket do you think this is a good idea
thk again,jason

As far as I know, Kooks makes the only headers for our cars. I originally had kooks headers on a n/a 3.8 bird. I ran them almost 90,000 miles before I took them off to sell the car, and they are finally showing a little surface rust on a few little sections. Jethot coating is good stuff

Price: I paid around $650 for mine but I have an early style mn12 so I needed the egr fitting. They come with header bolts

if you are going to be using the MLS gaskets you need to deck the block(if i'm not mistaken. If you aren't planning on pulling the block i would stick with the felpro gaskets

of Kooks & Nuts

mywhite89 said:
As far as I know, Kooks makes the only headers for our cars. They come with header bolts
I have the early SCCoA headers. Maybe Kooks made'm, I don't know. Got'em from Bill Hull.

I lost so many header bolts & nuts, that I used to keep a bunch of'em in the car, along with the necessary wrenches. I finally solved the problem, with longer bolts & double nutting them, with lock washers between the nuts.

68COUGAR

Back