M5R2 guts pic

TBKHomeworld

Just thought I would share this pic. It's so big that I put a link up for it.

<a href="http://sc.tbkhomeworld.com/pics/trannyguts.jpg">Click Here</A>

I'm using a Nikon CoolPix 995.

Here is a full-size pic. The image quality is still turned down to make it downloadable for most people. The FULL size version is 9MB in size.

<a href="http://sc.tbkhomeworld.com/pics/trannyguts-full.jpg">Full Size</A>

Still got your auto layin' around?

You want me to ship you some fluid from Texas? Hope you ain't been runnin' that diet stuff they sell out there in lala land, they put kelp in that stuff.

A side note...a local fella bought that 89SC partscar you had, I looked at it the other day, sez he got it from Lubbock or sumthin'. It's about 10 miles away from here as we speak, still looks very decent. He also has a pretty dark blue 89SC 5spd, wants to sell the pair for 2,000.

'bird

It wasn't lubbock, it was Austin. can't believe he wants to sell both now! JEBUS! Oh well....his loss I guess.

Yeah, I still have the auto....except it's in Austin area.

No diet crap for me. In fact, I find it funny I come to a big hotrod place and I end up shipping my tranny to GEORGIA for a rebuild! This place is full of some weird ass fruit loops dude! I miss my home!

only thing to come from texas are steers and que.ers haha so dont rag on us calif people. seriously im getting tired of southern california myself, too many ricers and richard craniums. only problem is, if i move out to the sticks, cow tipping will get boring after a while. i think i need a vacation!

al

Didn't mean EVERYONE here was fruit loops....but a great many are.... I really do miss my home....I miss being in a HOUSE! This apartment life blows man! TOTALLY. My home that I owned in Texas would cost me $500,000 out here! that's screwed up man!

hahaha yep, homes are expensive here unless you move out to the outskirts. im pretty sure id love texas and would fit in fine...for the hour i was there changing flights at DFW the people just seemed to be more my style

al

Are you gonna...

Have the slickest shifting m5r2 around?

Whatever happened to the t-56 ideas? You really know these trannys' well. I don't even know what the hell I'm looking at in that pic. Just looks like a "barrel of gears" to me. Huh, but what the hell do I know about trannys.

Hey, it looks like on your gears that there is a central "nick" going through several of the teeth, right in the middle. Is that normal?

Is there a way you can get the gears specially cut to improve shifting? What about getting the gears custom made out of a lighter material?

I have not looked any further into the T-56 idea because of all the modifications I would have to do. In an apartment complex machining parts up is a bit difficult.

Also, Paul is going to be distributing a complete 6-speed kit pretty soon (if all goes well with testing). He's going to offer a few different options and from the info I have received from him it looks VERY promising.

The gears should not have the center cut. I am not sure why, or how, they received the nick.

The way the tranny works is pretty simple. The shifter actually moves the slider ring (the part between the two brass blocker rings) and engages it into gear. The probelm we all have is the blocker rings go bad, fall down, and don't allow for proper alignment.

I would have rebuilt the tranny myself, but I simply didn't have the tools to rebuild it here (or the space). That's why I shipped it to Southern Gear for a $150 rebuild! (Yes, it's really that cheap).

I'm hoping Paul will have the 6-speed available later this year and I'll be able to get it early next year *Money permitting*.

'course right now I would just REALLY like to drive my car. I bought it over 1 year ago now and have put on less than 1000 miles! 99% of the time I've had it it's been on blocks in rebuild/repair stage. :(

Addition: You can do all sorts of stuff with gears. but the main shifting part is the syncros. This will ultimately be your failure point. (Which is cheaper to replace than the gears anyway).

Last edited:
Heard of the 6-speed conversion before...

Tom blanchard and Paul were working on a 6-speed conversion
for SCperformance.com a couple of years ago, but it didn't pan out. Mostly due to the fact that paul said there would be alot of custom maching involved including the custom bellhousing which wasn't working right or something.

However, if paul learned from his mistakes the first time and is attacking this problem with a fresh perspective, then knowing him, we WILL be seeing something like that in a year or so. Like I said, I can't wait.

AsScLoWn said:
all I can say is WOW, those blocker rings looked hooped:D (well just 2 from what I can tell)

Dammit u beat me to the post i was gonna make.. LoL Those 2nd and 3rd gear blocking rings are shot to sh*t

Deep ---) Agreed
Assclown ---) Yep, thus would be my serious grind problem
Kwik ---) Always slow on the response! You snooze, you loose! ;-)

btw---I'm really concerned about the center cut in the gears. I'm afraid Southern Gear isn't gonna like that at all and require new gears. At least I have another tranny to yank them from! :)

Ok, ok, OK! So I made a dang error! DEAL WITH IT! ;-)

that's odd they have the groove, but I"ll take it! :) Can you, or anyone else, verify that?

Yea when i rebuilt my old M5R2 it had the same cuts on the gears.. Put it back together and it ran perfect. I wouldnt be too worried bout them..

I'll third the grooves on the gears. I just finished mine. Got all my parts at Southern Gear except for the fiber blockers which I got from the dealer. I tried the brass blockers and in one season of racing they were chewed up. I went back to the fiber ones. I'll get it swapped out on Fri. evening I hope. I'm tired of double clutching into 3rd to stop the crunch.

Back