Ring Gear with teeth on the back?

Dahoopd

Someone gave me a set of gears and the ring gear has a toothed ring on the back of it. Why is it there. The differential unit is differant than mine so I understand I cant use it but what type of rear is it.

My abs is also. This is where the ring gear bolts to the diff. it actually sits beteeen the bolts and the ring gear.

The solid axle trucks use one ABS sensor mounted to the top of the axle housing. It reads off the exciter ring which goes on the ring gear. So I'm guessing that you have a ring & pinion set that originally lived in a truck rearend. Not a problem, they are interchangeable with the passenger car ring & pinion sets.

cheers
Ed N.

Ring Gear Teeth

Dahoopd said:
Someone gave me a set of gears and the ring gear has a toothed ring on the back of it.
When you say "back" do you mean the surface of the ring gear that sits against the flange on the differential? OR are you talking about teeth on the edge of the ring gear?

If the teeth are indeed on the back side of the ring gear, the the mating flange of the diff. would have to have matching teeth on it. If it didn't, the ring gear would not sit flush on the flange.

Can you post any pics. of this alien Ring gear?

68COUGAR

Last edited:
fast Ed said:
The solid axle trucks use one ABS sensor mounted to the top of the axle housing. It reads off the exciter ring which goes on the ring gear. So I'm guessing that you have a ring & pinion set that originally lived in a truck rearend. Not a problem, they are interchangeable with the passenger car ring & pinion sets.

cheers
Ed N.

68 Cougar,

After some research I found the same answer that FastEd just gave. Its for Ab. The gears are reusable.

Thanks Ed once again for that plethora of knowledge you retain.

1 picture is worth 1000 words

Dahoopd said:
68 Cougar, After some research I found the same answer that FastEd just gave. Its for Ab.
I'm still curious. OR my brain just can't seem to get a picture of this thing. Can you post a picture for this old brain of mine?

68COUGAR

Here is a pic of the ring on the gear ring. (yeah that sounds right)

Attachments

• Gear Ring.jpg
    Gear Ring.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 34
Lord of the Rings

Dahoopd said:
Here is a pic of the ring on the gear ring. (yeah that sounds right)
Ahhhhh, the ABS ring is on the side of the Ring gear. It all makes sense now.

68COUGAR

Back