PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket?? Or HC!?

Bigme574
08-01-2002, 01:41 AM
My temperature never gets above the N in "NORM" But tonight it got up to the M and bounced back and forth from the N to the M...which is what happened last time my head gasket went. I havent had time to check the coolant because my SC is still hot. But my passenger side floor is always wet...i thought it was a leak in the weather stripping, ive had the wetness for years with no coolant loss. So what am i looking at here? I have to do the HG in my girlfriends V6 Camry, do i have to do mine too!?

[email protected]
Aaron

mn12sc35th
08-01-2002, 02:11 AM
The wetness in the pass side has to be either a leak or the HC. The bouncing guage is either a bad temp sender or a sticky t-stat. The t-stat in my mom's exploder causes it to move like that. Check for water in your oil or more smoke than normal from exhaust (kind of a blue/white smells bad) or if it runs rough, if you suspect an HG

flyinbird
08-04-2002, 01:52 AM
I cant help you with the temp problem, but if you go to edmunds.com you will see that Ford had a sevice bulliten on the cowl vent gasket:) They recommended using two gaskets to raise the vent. It could be the HC, but the cowk vent was the poblem in my sc. Here is the link. It takes a while to load. Dont freak out when you see the number of issues. This is common with new model year cars.http://applications.edmunds.com/maintenance/MaintenanceServlet?step=step4&year=1990&make=Ford&model=Thunderbird&style=2+Dr+SC+Sprchgd+Coupe&popup=new#10

MikeM
08-04-2002, 12:12 PM
I would have to say HC. The needle bouncing back and forth would be a result of low coolant. Mine did that when my coolant was low.

Digitalchaos
08-04-2002, 04:02 PM
If you've seen the moisture on your pass side floor for years, I agree it is the vent shaft leaking. My Wrangler has the same recall. The rapid temperature movement could be air in the system. Check your radiator cap, and replace with a 16psi if needed. It could also be from running in very warm weather, if you go from idling at a stop light to cruising at 55. You mentioned the moisture on pas flr has happened for years w/o low coolant. Is it losing coolant now? If so, check your overflow tank for a leak. While your at it, make sure the thin overflow hose is not jammed.