AOD shifting different......

ThunderDave

.....after I installed a BBK 70mm throttle body. My car has a B&M shift kit, so you could feel the shifts pretty good and still can under heavy throttle, but under normal acceleration, 3rd is smoother than it was and od just kind of slides in. I didn't think changing throttle bodies would affect how the transmission shifted.

Is there something about the BBKs that puts the tv cable out of adjustment? Can I adjust the stop screw for the throttle to cure this problem? Has this happened to anyone else? I don't want to keep driving it if it's not adjusted right and chance messing up my transmission.

Thanks for any help or info.

You should probably check the TV pressure and reset the linkage (if necessary). It is likely that the new throttlebody linkage has changed the "geometry" causing slightly different TV pressures under acceleration.

LJGriggs said:
You should probably check the TV pressure and reset the linkage (if necessary). It is likely that the new throttlebody linkage has changed the "geometry" causing slightly different TV pressures under acceleration.

Maybe the linkage point on the BBK is off from the stock TB. So it's either pulling it forward or pushing it back. How is it adjusted?

It doesn't take very much movement of the cable to have a somewhat appreciable difference in TV pressure. There are a couple of good websites online on how to set the TV pressure. I believe Baumann or Lentech or one of those sites has a good write up. If you aren't sure you can take it to a transmission shop and have them check/set it for you.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

I found that on here, that someone had previously posted. I moved the block back on the shaft slightly and it's back to shifting like it did before. The grommet on the BBk doesn't hold it tight, like the stock one did, so I put a piece of electris tape on the end and pushed it in.

I'll probably end up getting another grommet or using the old one if I can get it out without breaking it. Thanks for the help y'all.

RadiumSC said:
I'll probably end up getting another grommet or using the old one if I can get it out without breaking it. Thanks for the help y'all.

Ford sells an updated gromet (brass) with a cotter pin. That is so much better than the rubber one in the car. If I remember right, they for about $7.50 or so.

Keep a close eye on that. Ford makes a brass grommet to replace the plastic one although everytime I go to get one all they ever have in stock are the plastic units.

I'll be getting one if they have them in stock. No telling how long the tape will hold after it gets hot enough to melt.:eek:

I had to tie mine on with some string on my way home on a 12 hour trip...That worked okay, but get the brass one. Definately worth saving your tranny for. If not in stock, have them get it in.

I bought a ton of the brass ones w/ cotter pin and handed them out to every one with an AOD car at one of the meets. I had mine pop out one time and figured it out and rigged it up to get home. Ford sold me the brass one and I bought all they had in stock.

I finally made it by the Ford dealer to get the updated connector for the tv cable. It fits on the stock TB just fine, but was too big to fit the BBK TB. So I ened up having the sand down the surface that goes into the TB till it would fit. I actually had to press it in with pliers and then got the C clip on it.

Now that I've got it fixed, I need to take it apart.:( ;) :rolleyes:

Back