Weird starting issue

blue72super

I am new to Super Coupes and am having trouble getting mine running. I bought it last week and the previous owner primed it with gas in the throttle body to get it to start. Once you do that it will run but it seems to run real rich.
It is stock as far as I know. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, cleaned the injectors, and checked and could not find any vacuum leaks. The Spark plugs were covered in black soot, and I put a new set in. It will run once primed off and it still runs rich.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Clark

Get a fuel pressure gauge and check to see what pressure you have. Also, change out the plugs and wires. It may be a weak ignition or a weak fuel pump or a combination of both.

Gotta start with guages and tools on these cars. Get a fuel pressure reading, see if your fuel pump is doing the 1 second run when the ignition is placed on. Any other method of troubleshooting on these cars gets really expensive fast:)

On a related note, I bought a 93LX for 100 bucks that would only run when primed and ran like dog snot and wouldnt stay running. It had a blown head gasket. Might want to do a compression check while your changing plugs just to be sure of your pressures.

codes??

have you tried to get any codes?
good place to start use a code reader or , if you can find an analog volt meter and a cheap haynes service manual, it will explain how to get the codes the cheap way .

I already put in a new set of spark plugs and replaced both O2 sensors. The water temp sensor on the right head was broken, so it is new as well. I checked the fuel pressure this morning and it is running 40 with the key in run and while the engine is cranking.
Clark

Everyone always forgets to look at the idle air control valve. Get one at Ford or Advance Auto. Ones sold elsewhere won't work on the SC.

Removed, cleaned and tested idle air bypass solenoid today. It was a little bit dirty, but not too bad. I used jumper wires to test the solenoid, and it is pulling the valve open.
Where can I get a EEC IV scanner or how do I get the codes out of the EEC? I checked with my local auto parts house and they do not have or sell them.
Clark

I found the same process on a mustang web site.
I tried it with the engine cold today since it is difficult to start. When I turned the key on all I got was a steady 11 volts on the meter. It would not flash.
I will have to prime it and get it running tomorrow and retry it with it warmed up.
Clark

Tried it again today. After I primed it to get it started, I let it run for about twenty minutes. The whole time the check engine light is on. I shut it off to try to read the EEC codes. All I get is a steady check engine light, never can get it to flash.
Clark

I hooked up the scanner and all I get is a constant STO light. It is on reguardless of key position - On, Off, or engine running. No flashing, the light just stays on.
Does this mean I probably have a bad EEC?
Clark

Something weird I tried today. Removed the EEC fuse from the distibution box, so the EEC would have no power at all. I then hooked up the code reader and the light was on. The wiring to the test port is good, i.e. no shorts. I am beginnig to think thinking the EEC is hard faulted.
Clark

Finally got it running

I got my remanned EEC today. Put it in and it started right up. I let it warm up and then shut it off. Put the code reader on it and got an 11.
Clark

Thanks for posting your fix. All to often I follow a thread and see no fix at the end. Glad its going for you.

Back