Modular Engine/Motor

Modular = "designed with standardized units or dimensions, as for easy assembly and repair or flexible arrangement and use"

Mod motors (4.6 SOHC, 4.6 DOHC, 5.4 SOHC, 5.4 DOHC, etc) share many of the same parts from engine to engine.

-Rod

modular : Designed with standardized units or dimensions, as for easy assembly and repair or flexible arrangement and use.

Pretty much it just means that they share parts between engines.

Smokin-ponies said:
modular : Designed with standardized units or dimensions, as for easy assembly and repair or flexible arrangement and use.

Pretty much it just means that they share parts between engines.

Whoa....there is an echo in here. :rolleyes:

-Rod

V4, V6, V8, V10, V12

Before the Mod Motor was released, I remember a press release about it. It said that the Modular Motor was designed so that it could easily be configured & cast as a V4, V6, V8, V10, or V12, just by adding another "module" to the block casting. I assume that's how we got the V10 Triton.

68COUGAR

Supposedly, thats how we got the V10. It's not quite perfect, about as modular as the small block series really. The 4.6, 5.4, and V10 (6.8?? I forget) share alot of parts, but I know the deck height is taller for a 5.4 than a 4.6, the V10 should share one of them. Very similar to the 351 and every other Ford small block in terms of interchange though. The V6 that was planned was never made from what I've read. The Duratec line replaced that thought.

racecougar said:
Modular = "designed with standardized units or dimensions, as for easy assembly and repair or flexible arrangement and use"

Mod motors (4.6 SOHC, 4.6 DOHC, 5.4 SOHC, 5.4 DOHC, etc) share many of the same parts from engine to engine.

-Rod

Funny thing is the 4.6L engines built in the Windsor plant are completely different than the ones built in the Romeo plant, and there are significant differences in the engines that have been built in each plant from year-to-year, so there are at least eight short blocks, seven heads and 13 long blocks.

So much for Ford standardization.

Roadhawg said:
Funny thing is the 4.6L engines built in the Windsor plant are completely different than the ones built in the Romeo plant, and there are significant differences in the engines that have been built in each plant from year-to-year, so there are at least eight short blocks, seven heads and 13 long blocks.

So much for Ford standardization.

Very true. I don't even try to understand some of the stuff that Ford does anymore. :confused:

-Rod

Back