any Ideas for a 5 speed swap?

1faStblackSC

my 1990 sc has the....lets say not so good AOD tranny in it. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas about an aftermarket swap for a 5 speed.

i once heard of a 5 speed mazda tranny that bolted up right to the SCs. i think it was called an m5r2 or something. I have no idea :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The M5R2 from a 5-speed SC is the only direct swap. A T-5 can be made to work, but it requires a shift extension, as the shift tower in that trans is further forward. Has anyone actually got a T-56 swap done yet? I keep hearing of it and it doesnt seem any worse to do than a T-5.

For one the AOD is a decent transmission if its built correctly. How do you think I used to run 11.12 on my tranny. Actually it was the only thing that stayed together all the time.

As far as 5-spds go you can swap a T-56 in using Mcleod bellhousing, GM 11 in clutch, SC pressure plate and other various pieces. The shifter is about 1.5 inches off. Which is close enough to work. Someone did it already using a LT1 trannsmission, but it will require a bunch of specialized parts. The LS1 transmission would be a better unit and requires less custom parts.

I am currently working on a TKO-600 tremec idea that I will have more information on at a later time. The TKO-600 is designed to handle over 600ft lbs of torque. The T-56 is designed to handle about 450ft lbs. However, these #'s are confusing because I am sure a T-56 can handle more than that but probably just won't last as long as a TKO-600.

Chris

i think the whole point of wanting to put in a better manual tranny would be to go with a 6 speed. I always felt with the top speeds these cars are capable of, i always just want to do 1 more shift. 6 speeds rule.

Back