What do/did you do to preserve your SC?

lurch256

What are some simple add-ons or modifications you have done to preserve the appearance of you car? What are you going to do you haven't yet, and what works well for you.
Did you tint the window, what wax works really well, buy the clear bra for the front, new interior, instsll some door guars etc.....

A Few Things

1) Zaino products (only) for paint protection.
2) Keep it in the garage and out of the sun.
3) Synthetic lubricants.
4) Keep it clean inside, outside, under the hood, underneath.
5) Fix things as they break - don't let probems accumulate.
6) Don't drive it (much).
7) Stone guards and bra if you have to drive it.

Just a few things I can think of. I'm sure others can add to this list...

Hmmm, lets see,
~Replace the 4.6l and 4R70W, with, a 351W and a C6.
~completley rip out all the interior, and put 1 racing seat in.
~Take off original wheels, put on aftermarket wheels with slicks and skinnies.
~Then take all items, and store for a long time.
Now thats what I call preserving them.:eek:

First, I bought the car from an abusive, un-appreciative owner who crashed the car into all sorts of things resulting in busted corner markers scuffed paint and a bent hood, drove it with no oil, and just plain didnt care about the vehicle or its actual worth.

Now its all taken apart, and everything is being cleaned extremely well. The engine is being rebuilt because of the No oil incident which resulted in a rod knock.

When its done, I'll focus on the exterior restoration, new paintjob, and definately tint the windows to help preserve the interior.

These cars are all at least 10-15 years old and could use some TLC, regular upkeep and preventative maintenance.

- Dan

Instead of waiting for something to break, as soon as you think the part is about to die on you, replace it. Waiting for your harmonic ballancer to fall apart (for example) may bugger up your engine.
If you're storing it add fuel preservative (prevents oxidation) and if you live in a wet climate, put a plate covered in baking soda in the interior. This will absorb moisture and prevent mold. I've known some who didn't do this in the past and got a nasty smell after letting their car sit for a few months.
Also for plastic bits like your tail lights, head lights etc... Meguires plastic polish works great. My 95's lights look as smooth and glossy as the day they were made.

I preserved my 35th Anny much like 95badbird did with his. I yanked all the interior out of it save for leaving the Anny door pannels, dash, and head liner while two Corbeau Forza racing seats and 5 point harnesses. I am going to rebuild the suspenssion completely, put big BBS style wheels on it, do slight motor work, and put giant brakes front and back on it. Then to make sure its safe to be on the inside of the car its getting an SCCA spec nascar style roll cage.

Shane

Jackstands

I preserve mine, by leaving it on jackstands in the garage, awaiting replacement parts!!!

68COUGAR

I preserve mine by driving it on an almost daily basis, it chirps the tires going into third even at like 1/8 throttle. I was taking a co-worker home after work today. He asked me if something was wrong with my car because it shifts so hard and it seemed to chirp the tires almost every time going into third gear if we were on a smooth road. I wasn't even building boost. I told him I bought a special valvebody for the transmission. He was like "you paid money to make it do that?" He probably thought my tranny was going out but he is probably used to normal granny shifting gear lagging automatics.

I tinted the windows to cut down on the sun that made my dash get a crack and the top of my back seat is getting pretty hard. I am going to put leather conditioner on it and see if it helps. Other wise I'll have to get the seats re-done at an upholstery shop in a year or two.

I'm getting ready to paint it, and I'm going to switch to the newer style trim and remove the pinstripe on my car.

Then I'm going to lower it.

I'm not one of those guys who buys a car to leave it stock. Nor am I an enthusiast who buys a specialty car and leaves it stock. I drive my car, I modify it, and I plan to restomod (restore and modify) it. When I get done (which will be never) the car will look like a new car, handle like its on rails, and outrun cars that cost far more than this one.

I enjoy a nicely preserved specialty car, don't get me wrong, but I couldn't do it. Whether it be a 69 Charger, an 87 Buick Grand National, an SC, or a 1963 Split-window Vette, I'd have to modify it. Nothing comes from the factory that I'm happy with. The factory just gives me a good starting point. I improve on the car from there on out.

Oh and I'm at 238k miles so yes my car gets driven. It gets the oil and filter replaced at 3000 miles like clock work, and I always use premium fuel. I check the brakes once a month, keep a good set of tires on it, change the antifreeze every 6 months, wash it twice a week, wax it once a month, change the trans fluid once a year, change the belts every two years... plus if I notice anything that might be a failure coming up I replace it asap.

Last edited:
Grandpas Lazy Boy

Scott Long said:
I was taking a co-worker home after work today. He asked me if something was wrong with my car because it shifts so hard and it seemed to chirp the tires almost every time going into third gear if we were on a smooth road. I wasn't even building boost. I told him I bought a special valvebody for the transmission. He was like "you paid money to make it do that?" He probably thought my tranny was going out but he is probably used to normal granny shifting gear lagging automatics.
Next time you take the Nimrod home, find a deserted stretch of blacktop, stop the car, and ..........................You Know!!!!! I'm positive Nimrod has never been in a performance car before. Probably drives a maroon Buick LeSabre that shifts like grandpas Lazy Boy recliner.

68COUGAR

Here's my method for my 90 XR7:

Keep the car spotless, inside, outside, and underneath
Wax it regularly
Polish the wheels regularly
Don't drive it in the rain
Don't drive it over the winter months
Don't let the car out of my sight when it isn't safe in my shop
Keep it in the shop, with a car cover on it, whenever I'm not out enjoying it

Use the 94 LX as the daily driver, and save the XR7 for "fun time"

It seems to be working pretty well.

-Rod

Last edited:
you all sound like me for the most part.

I buy a good wax, use it.
keep it washed and an eye out for the rust spots.
keep the oil changed. and the additives in teh fuel.
keep the inside clean.

now my question is what is the best way to replace leather interior?
should it be with actual leather, or vinyl, or buy the chceaper skins and just replace the interior that way?
anyone done this or have experience in preserving/replacing leather?

If I wanted to keep the stock seats in my car, I'd take them to an upholstery shop and have them recoverred in some nice soft supple leather. However, the front seats in this car weigh a ton so I am going to get some racing seats, maybe in cloth for the front (leather is hot and slippery, and I want to stay planted). The backseat I'll leave in leather for now, if it cracks and splits, I'll redo it but may consider doing it in black cloth to match the racing seats. I'm looking to keep my car nice, but not 100% original condition so that I can sell it to a collector someday on Barrett-Jackson. I am building the car so that I will enjoy it, and if I ever sell it someday I know that I will be lucky to get anything for it, since my car has 238k miles on it, and is a 90 AOD (one of the most abundant combo's made) I don't see it being a real collectible unless someone collects modified performance cars (like me).

Lets see..

Replaced suspension
Rebuilt transmission
Rebuilt engine
Rebuilt rear end
Installed semi-new interior
Painted car
Get hit by fat slob at track on scooter cause she was too lazy to walk to the track from the pits to see her redneck Camaro driving bald ~~~ fat schmuck of a husband race so she can sue me and win $60k when it was 100% her fault. :mad:

7 years later it still irks me everytime i think about it..

I leave it in the rain and sun and dont wax it and use krylon paint to cover up the peeling paint i use a shovel to get some of the trash out of my interior,

and change my oil every 10 k miles even if it aint thick as puddin.:D

Nimrod

68COUGAR said:
Next time you take the Nimrod home, find a deserted stretch of blacktop, stop the car, and ..........................You Know!!!!! I'm positive Nimrod has never been in a performance car before. Probably drives a maroon Buick LeSabre that shifts like grandpas Lazy Boy recliner.

68COUGAR
Scott, Show the boy what it's like to have a pair................(deleted by Political Corectness)

68COUGAR

racecougar said:
Here's my method for my 90 XR7:

Keep the car spotless, inside, outside, and underneath
Wax it regularly
Polish the wheels regularly
Don't drive it in the rain
Don't drive it over the winter months
Don't let the car out of my sight when it isn't safe in my shop
Keep it in the shop, with a car cover on it, whenever I'm not out enjoying it

Use the 94 LX as the daily driver, and save the XR7 for "fun time"

It seems to be working pretty well.

-Rod

Yes, and buy parts. Lots and lots of spare parts..... :p

Ira

irar said:
Yes, and buy parts. Lots and lots of spare parts..... :p

Ira

LOL....no kidding. I think I have enough spare parts here. :D

It sure is nice having all of these parts cars though. If I break something on one of my cars, usuallly all I have to do is walk behind the shop or into the parts room to grab another one.

-Rod

racecougar said:
LOL....no kidding. I think I have enough spare parts here. :D

It sure is nice having all of these parts cars though. If I break something on one of my cars, usuallly all I have to do is walk behind the shop or into the parts room to grab another one.

-Rod

Right. Isn't that nice. You.... (deleted for language)... (deleted for content) ... (deleted for intent)... (deleted for attitude)... ;)

Ira

oh he said ...{deleted for language}... and then topped it off with ...{deleted for content}... then if that was not enuff he said ...{deleted for sexual improvision of none human type of conjoinment}...

or something like that man if i ever said ...{deleted for the hell of it }... id be kicked off the forums!!

Back