Supercharger Fluid... where to buy and how much?$$ any suitable replacements?

DMX

Like possibly keeping a bottle of ATF or synthetic mercron 5 in the trunk to replace any fluid that leaks out from the weak front supercharger seal?

Would that work?

If not, how much is the supercharger fluid? can i just ask for it at the dealer?

There are at least places to get the real thing. I would do that before substituting.

1) Ford Dealer ($10 - $15 per 4 oz bottle)

2) SuperCoupePerformance, Bill Evanoff, see website

3) Pontiac (or other GM dealer) ($6.50 per 4 oz bottle)

The GM machines (e.g., Pontiac GTP) uses the same Eaton M90 blower as we do.

I have used routes 2 and 3 above.

SC Fluid

You can get the fluid form Ford but GMs is the same thing and a lot cheaper. Your idea is flawed because the SC has to be cold when you open the plug to add fluid. If your front seal is leaking, you should replace it now before the bearings get damaged. If you deal with it now, you'll only have to remove the pulley & seal. But if you wait until the bearings get damaged from lack of oil, you will need to remove the plenum & SC to do a snout rebuild. You can always remove the SC belt until you can fix the seal.

Motor Oil????

If 5w30?? why not 0w30 then?

Any possible negative effects from using this??

Power steering fluid is similar to ATF (some is even simply Type F ATF)

So my original argument is valid then? Keep a bottle of top of the line synthetic ATF in the trunk?

Hell, maybe even fill up with that instead of that expensive Ford/GM fluid?

I don't know what specific differences exist in the chemical makeup of "SC Fluid" and "Synthetic Power Steering Fluid/ATF", so my recommendation is to use either one or the other. Siphon out the "old" stuff and refill with one kind of fluid (which ever you decide to use). Just make sure the car is COLD, like first thing in the morning, and parked on level ground. This stuff stinks like it came from the sewers of hell, so you don't want it blowing out all over the place.

DMX said:
Like possibly keeping a bottle of ATF or synthetic mercron 5 in the trunk to replace any fluid that leaks out from the weak front supercharger seal?

Would that work?

If not, how much is the supercharger fluid? can i just ask for it at the dealer?

If I were you I'd Use ONLY approved SC oil in the Super Charger. I get mine at the local GM dealer for about 4.80 per bottle. It takes just under two bottles to fill it if it's empty.

For 10 bucks why take a chance??? :confused: It will run you 500.00 or more to fix if it gets screwed up!

The GM Part # is 12345982 and it come in 4 ounce plastic bottles

Last edited:
good point, good point. No need to risk putting crap in an expensive blower, but i'm saying, are any of these synthetic fluids (ATF or 0w30) better suited? I cant imagine anything flowing better or lubing or dissipating(sp?) heat better than these synthetic fluids.

Right?

No they are not better. SC fluid is made in a while where it will not breakdown... no matter how hot it gets. They actually say you never need to change it.. just top it off.

I would say that both ATF and Motor oil will brake down because they are not a true 100% sythetic oil.

Also the SC fluid is designed to mist to lubricate the front bearings.... I doubt ATF Or Motor Will do that.

Chris

p.s. ITS $10. You guys are damn cheap if you cant spend that.

DMX said:
good point, good point. No need to risk putting crap in an expensive blower, but i'm saying, are any of these synthetic fluids (ATF or 0w30) better suited? I cant imagine anything flowing better or lubing or dissipating(sp?) heat better than these synthetic fluids.

Right?

BETTER Suited .......... I doubt it very much ..... It is my thought that if there were a better product available, the factory stores (GM Ford and MoPar) would be selling it right along side the regular fluid. (At 3X the price).

It's not worth the risk to me ........... but this is America, we can all make our own choices, them we have to live with our desisions.

One other thought, Get in touch with Paul at BTM or get in touch with the guys at Embree Machine. They know Superchargers inside and out. They may be able to shed some new light on this.

Last edited:
Back