Vibration @ Idle in Drive

modfan

I have a vibration when I put the car in drive. Vibration is only felt @ idle. I have put new wires and plugs in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Rick.

same problem

i have the same problem also did plugs and wires
does the idle go really low when u put it in gear or will the car stall if u put in gear and cut the wheel at the same time? matt

If it's only vibrating in Drive at idle, I would first check your engine mounts (either goose the engine and have someone look under the hood to see if the engine lifts up or get underneath and inspect them for decay - the stock fluid filled ones are notorious for breaking-up); otherwise I would suspect a transmission problem and atleast change the fluid first. With age most auto trans will cause some vibration at idle.

I had the same problem and solved it by increasing my minimum idle. That involves turning the stop screw on the throttle body. But there is a specific way to do it. I told how I did it ina post a while back. XR7Dave has also posted instructions, which were slightly different. Some people say that adjusting the idle is a bad idea, but it worked great for me. And I got the idea from a professional EEC diagnosis manual.

P.S. - It was definitely not my transmission because I had it rebuilt and the problem remained.

same thing

i also have the same problem, its worse in reverse, but at indle in drive it will be fine most of tyhe time and every once and i while the idle will drop and vibrate. My car also stalls sometimes if im in reverse and turn the wheel at a very slow speed. i think my idle is too low.

Joisey Jim said:
If it's only vibrating in Drive at idle, I would first check your engine mounts (either goose the engine and have someone look under the hood to see if the engine lifts up or get underneath and inspect them for decay - the stock fluid filled ones are notorious for breaking-up); otherwise I would suspect a transmission problem and atleast change the fluid first. With age most auto trans will cause some vibration at idle.

I agree with this. My '97 4.6 LX had a vibration in drive at idle that got progressively worst over months. Turned out it was the motor mounts. They weren't broken, just tired and collapsed.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX Sport

I checked motor mounts and the driver side seems to me to be bad. Metal piece on top of the mount is resting on lower portion of the mount. I'm going to change the mounts on both sides. I'll let you know what happens. Idle seems to be OK @ about 550 to 600 RPM.

Last edited:
550 to 600 sounds low if that is with the IAC plugged in. Try unplugging the IAC and see how the idle does. If it dies, the minimum idle is too low. Your motor mounts may still be bad, but I would check the idle too.

RPM drops when unpluged but doesn't stall. Put my computer reader on and did a check on the idle and it is 600 to 650 in drive.

I have that same vibration at idle as you guys are describing. I have a brand new driver side motor mount, and i had the pass. side checked and i was told it was fine. My engine idles around 600 rpm or so.

Anyone have any other suggestions other than the mounts?

-Nick

My idle in drive is around 600 rpm's also (in my '94 auto) and, there is a little bit of vibration; but the strange thing is that my voltmeter flutters & my lights flicker when it's that low. I was wondering if I should manually boost the idle on the TB, or maybe the regulator on my alternator is not working right. It seems to hold a charge ok ( I went all through the winter without a problem). Hummm?

nick62087 said:
I have that same vibration at idle as you guys are describing. I have a brand new driver side motor mount, and i had the pass. side checked and i was told it was fine. My engine idles around 600 rpm or so.

Anyone have any other suggestions other than the mounts?

-Nick

About eight years ago I had the same problem with my 95, low idle, vibrations, etc. I took it to my local Ford stealership to have the motor mounts checked and was told they were fine. Still not being able to pin down what was causing this I decided to change the motor mounts anyway. The driver side mount appeared to be ok but the passenger side mount came out in two pieces. After I put the new stock replacement mounts in all the above problems were gone and the car drove so much better. It even shifted (5 speed) much smoother. It honestly felt like a different car.

Back