Strange Problem after abs disable

Scour_king

I have started haveing a strange problem on my 95. I disabled the abs a while back to get my inspection sticker (the light was on). I pulled 3 fuses and a relay, If it said abs I pulled it until the light went out. The brakes started working much better then they ever have. I figured I would leave it this way. Well I was out twice so far and was in a situation of having to get on the car hard to get into traffic (wot) and then stop short there after. This all happens in like 200 feet or so. Anyway I notice the firm ride light come on (normal I think) and when I am applying the brakes its like the brake booster gives out and the pedal firms up like rock hard and when I get it stopped the engine idles rough. I put it in nuetral and park and neither makes a difference in engine or brakes. How ever in gear with the problem occuring it seems I almost can't hold the car back. (Is that why everyone gets the bigger brakes and calipers.) If I shut it down for a few seconds and restart it foot off brakes everthing is then fine. Is this a result of the abs being disabled, a master cylinder, booster or, even a vacuum problem. I am not sure where to start looking for the grimlin. I was under the understanding to disable abs on a 95 that you just pull fuses and relay as it is a piggyback system to the regular brakes.

Sounds like what happened to mine when the pressure switch went out but I don't think your 95 has a pressure switch because there is no accumulator. ~~~~ it buy a 93 Crown Vic master cylinder and an 89 Tbird booster and convert to regular brakes.

I thought that only applied to the pre 93 that had the old tevis system on it that looked like a gm hydroboost. My understanding was that my 95 had the updated tevis system on it and it was a piggyback unit and not all tied in like on the older cars. So to disable you only had to pull fuses and relay.

Back