PDA

View Full Version : Popping noise from front Wheel

rickbtbird
04-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Hi,
Recently I've had a popping noise coming from the right front wheel when I backup and cut the wheel hard to the left. When I straiten it, the brake pressure is a big spongy until I pump the brake pedal once.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

txsc
04-12-2006, 09:59 PM
I don't know about the brake pedal feel, but the popping noise could very well be the upper control arm/ball joint assembly. Check the boots on your upper ball joints to see if they're cracked. Pick up the front end with a jack and move the tire/wheel assembly. See if the upper ball joint is loose. If so, you'll need to replace the upper control arm/ball joint assembly as a unit. Do both sides at the same time. These run about $75-$80 per side at the parts store. There are probably better deals available on line. Good luck.

JD

rickbtbird
04-13-2006, 06:55 AM
I don't know about the brake pedal feel, but the popping noise could very well be the upper control arm/ball joint assembly. Check the boots on your upper ball joints to see if they're cracked. Pick up the front end with a jack and move the tire/wheel assembly. See if the upper ball joint is loose. If so, you'll need to replace the upper control arm/ball joint assembly as a unit. Do both sides at the same time. These run about $75-$80 per side at the parts store. There are probably better deals available on line. Good luck.

JD

All of that was done last year. I ordered the parts from ford.com and had it done with a front end alignment.

I'm starting to wonder if I have a bad hub or wheel bearing.

birds4us
04-13-2006, 08:23 AM
The brake caliper bolts wouldn't be loose would they? I would get under there and check things out before something happens.

txsc
04-13-2006, 10:30 AM
I've heard about some guys having loose K-frame bolts. Could that cause your popping noise? It would be easy enough to check yours and make sure they're tight.

rickbtbird
04-13-2006, 04:44 PM
The brake caliper bolts wouldn't be loose would they? I would get under there and check things out before something happens.
Two years ago I did a brake job and I put the caliper bolts on with a torque wrench to a specified touque. I guess there's a chance that one loosened. i'll check things out this weekend.

rickbtbird
04-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I've heard about some guys having loose K-frame bolts. Could that cause your popping noise? It would be easy enough to check yours and make sure they're tight.
How would the k-frame bolts affect the brake pressure?

S_Mazza
04-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Mine makes the same noise, and the only things not new are the LCAs and strut rod bushings. I think it's the LCAs. I already bought them, but haven't had time to install them (or even take it to the mechanic ...) .