changing water pump

WickedBird

is it possible to change the water pump without removing the alternater/power steering bracket. it looks like the bracket off the power steering pump that bolts to the water pump comes off behind the pulley. however, my pulley puller won't fit with the intercooler. i really don't want to pull all that stuff off to change it. any suggestions.

i found some other threads covering this topic. so with the right puller it can be done. any suggestions on which one? mine is a snap-on and it's too big. i would rather not remove the cooler.

if i do manage to loosen the bolt without removing the pulley, does the bolt need to be removed or is the bracket slotted?

also, i'm replacing the crank and cam sensors? any special requirements on replacing these? i thought i remember something about the motor needing to be in a certain position but i don't know if this was for a bird or not.

I just used a cheapy Autozone pulley puller to do it. I did one without pulling the IC out. I had to cut down the long bolt when reinstalling the P/S pulley.

The cam sensor is easy to change. Two 5.5mm bolts and it's out. You only need to keep track of where the engine is if you pull the entire synchronizer (similar to a distributor) out of the engine which isn't neccessary to change the sensor.

Early model crank sensors are a pain the first time. You'll have to pull the crank pulley (make sure you marke it's location relative to the dampener, it only goes on one way, but it's a pain to figure out which way that is lying on your back underneath the car) and the shrouding around the dampener. The actual connector for the crank sensor is up near the cam sensor. Remember to gap the crank sensor to the vanes on the back of the dampener. I usually use a piece of paper folder over a couple of times. You just want to make sure that the vanes won't crash into the sensor with the engine running.

Is that you Craig ?

For the power steering pump bracket. Ive had trouble removing the pump pulley before, so instead of removing it, Ive unbolted the Aluminum Power steering bracket ( there is a bolt behind it that can be tricky to get to, but if you're creative with swivel sockets you can get to it ) .. good luck, its a pain either way.

As for the sensors, the Cam sensor will need to be in the correct or same position it was when you removed it. There is a positioning tool for this, but some people do it without the tool. There is information is this as well.

- Dan

yeah it's me.

maybe i will just pull the whole bracket assembly off. wont' be the first time..or the last:eek:. is the lower IC tube mounted to the bracket like the top tube?

i could just cut and weld:)

No, I think thats a seperate bracket behind the PS bracket. Lots of brackets on the SC engine.

- Dan

I know I've done it without pulling a lot of that crap off, but it's been so long I can't remember anymore.

EDIT** Dan, next time I reply I'm just going to PM it to you so you can put it in your post and save space :)

LOL too many of us online at the same time, quick responses to questions though. Should be in a chat room or something.

- Dan

ORRRRRR... you could just do what the previous owner of my XR7 did. When I bought the car, it was with the understanding that it needed a water pump. I told the guy I would buy the pump if he would change it before I picked up the car.

He could not figure out how to get it apart either (like many others, I am sure you have noticed) soooooo he took a torch and cut the bracket down the middle. Swapped out the water pump, then when he put it all back together, he got everything in place and lined up, then welded it back together.

He did a good enough job. After all he IS a weldor, and a pretty damn good one at that. I worked with him for about 5 years in a welding shop. ANYWAYS... it CAN be done that way, but the finished product will look a bit "backwoods" no matter how good you can weld.

Ddubb said:
LOL too many of us online at the same time, quick responses to questions though. Should be in a chat room or something.

- Dan

really.... four replies while I was typing mine.... BUT I got side tracked when I went to get a beer in the middle of it. :D

what is wrong with these car companies. honestly did they need to design that bracket like that. i think they intentionally make an easy task difficult.

Back